Will taking a bully hen out for awhile work in my flock?

JuliaSunshine

Songster
Apr 3, 2022
West coast Canada
I have 9 hens (no rooster) and the 8th (8 months old) on the hierarchy bullies the bottom one, 9th (also 8 months old).
She always pecks the 9th and whenever the 9th is in the nesting box, she chases her away even though she doesn't want to lay herself.
The 9th happened to be my favorite as she survived a big injury on her stomach and I looked after her for many months.
So I want the 8th to stop bullying the 9th but I'm not sure if it's possible.
I wonder if taking the 8th out from the flock for awhile will do anything because the 8th will come back and beat the 9th up again.
The 9th is definitely smaller and weaker than the 8th because she couldn't grow properly while having the injury as a pullet.
Should I just let them be?
The 9th hasn't been seriously hurt by 8th's bullying but I'm especially annoyed about the fact that the 9th can't lay in the nesting box because of all the bullying.
I've been seeing small eggs on the floor of the coop and I'm sure it was the 9th who laid them. Other lower hens also shoo away the 9th from the nesting box, but the 8th is the worst.
So, will taking the 8th away from the flock for a few days work at all?

Last edited:
Removing 8th for a period of time will give her more than 9th to worry about. She will probably have to fight most of the flock including 9th who may regain her mojo.
Thank you. That's a good point. The problem is that the 8th is my second favorite who I've been training to tolerate my handling so I can hug her sometimes. It'll be upsetting to see the other hens peck and chase away the 8th even more than now.
It's tough to decide who to choose to baby.
I wonder if I should just keep things as they are.
I don't think the 9th will be able to win against the 8th even after the 8th has been separated.

Have had the same problem with one of my favorites. Don't like to see it,but let it play out. Now Rubysue stands her ground and does a good job of it. Actually see her doing some of the bullying now. Got full of herself. Lol

Attachments

• Resized_20231117_122347.jpeg
    Resized_20231117_122347.jpeg
    358.5 KB · Views: 3
Have had the same problem with one of my favorites. Don't like to see it,but let it play out. Now Rubysue stands her ground and does a good job of it. Actually see her doing some of the bullying now. Got full of herself. Lol
I'd love to see the 9th do some bullying herself lol. I'm sure she'd a good job.
Actually I took the 8th away for 2 days and put her back with the flock before they forgot her.
I think there was a slight improvement between the 8th and the 9th.
I guess whoever becomes the bottom, she'll get some pecking by the flock.

Back
Top Bottom