Will tapioca pearls be OK for chicken feed?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by nutso, Dec 28, 2010.

1. nutso

nutso Out Of The Brooder

Mar 7, 2009
    Kingston Springs, TN
    I've been cleaning out my cupboard and found some tapioca pearls that have been there since 2001!. They look OK but clearly, I'm not going to be using them. I know they need to be soaked before using - would this be OK for my chickens (once they've been soaked and are softened)? They're from a root (I believe) that is common in South America -

What do you know? Anyone tried this before? [​IMG]

Thanks.

2. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    Quote:Mine had cooked tapioca pudding once and they loved it.

3. ssbs

ssbs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Tapioca is from the cassava plant [​IMG] The whole plant is edible, greens and all. The greens are awesome if you crush them in a mortar and pestle and cook with onions, peanut flour and beef short ribs.. You learn a lot when the apple of your eye is African and you try the food he grew up eating. [​IMG]

None the less.. I'm sure your chickens would love them some tapioca. You could go ahead and make them a pudding treat with it

4. nutso

nutso Out Of The Brooder

Mar 7, 2009
    Kingston Springs, TN
    Thanks for your quick responses. I'm sure the girls will love the tapioca.

Best,

Linda

5. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Yum, I love tapioca pudding. Obviously the chickens don't need the sugar, but I think if you soaked or cooked them they would love them.

Sounds like your cupboards are like mine. I had some smoked oysters the other night - THEN I discovered they were almost 2 years out of date! [​IMG] (no problems though)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by