Will the first eggs from a young EE hatch? + Mixed breed question.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by alalele, Jul 9, 2008.

1. alalele

alalele Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2008
    Livingston Parish, LA
    Hi! I only have 2 americauna (ee's) HENS now that my golden sexlink was killed by a predator. I've read that the first eggs are usually very small but will they hatch? I don't know that I even WANT to do this yet, and am just considering it right now.

The girls haven't even started laying yet, but have considered letting two eggs hatch naturally if one of the girls are willing to set. I started considering this after losing a pet chicken and the feed store isn't having any more delivered due to the heat.

The Roo is a Black Australorpe (obviously I don't mind a mixed breed because I love my birds and am curious to what they would be like in that combo) Anyone ever hatched that combo?

Aren't EE's mixed breeds anyway? Are EE's good setters? The only draw back to hatching my own is that I really cannot have another rooster and if one or both were roos then I'd be in big trouble because I know it will be hard to rehome a mixed breed that isn't meant for the table. And that fact will torture me.

Any ideas, experience or opinions?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by