Will the flock pick on chicks?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by missychicky, Jun 25, 2010.

1. missychicky

missychicky Songster

Jun 10, 2009
    Milwuakie. OR
    I have an all girl flock and 1 broody with eggs about to hatch. I am worried that the flock will pick on the new chicks, am I just being a worrywort? Is this a real concern?

2. PortageGirl

PortageGirl Songster

Nov 8, 2008
    Portage County, Ohio
    It is possible. I've had numerous broodies raise chicks in the coop with the flock without any trouble at all, but I have heard of others having trouble.

3. Ms.FuzzyButts

Ms.FuzzyButts Songster

Sep 5, 2009
    North Alabama
    I agree with PortageGirl... It is possible, but most moms are pretty fierce when it comes to their babies. She will more than likely protect them very well. Just fix her up a good place to sleep on the ground, if she isn't already. Because the chicks can't get up into a nest box or on the roost. Good luck and congrats on the newly arriving babies! [​IMG]

4. dieselgrl48

dieselgrl48 Songster

Feb 21, 2010
    Virginia
    Yes I have had a few bantam broody hens hatch at same time and they will peck other chick's.Or if you have other hen's or roo's with acess they will peck them too.If you can set something up for the mama'a with the chick's it's best I think.The only chick's I ever hatched and they did good in coop with 2 Huge roo's and 6 other hen's were my jersey giant's.They did not lose or kill one chick out of 8 the hen hatched.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by