Will the vacuum scare my chicks to death?

You'll have to watch and see.
When my chicks were several weeks old and living on the screened porch I got too close to the porch with the lawnmower and caused a pile up.
Two chicks were crushed badly at the bottom of the pile up, but fortunately they survived.
Some chicks it might not bother at all.

You guys! its just a vacuum and theyre just chickens!

They learn by repetition. No matter what the outcome is with your vacuum adventure today, be sure to do it every single day, even if they do pile up, freak out, or generally have little aviary panic attacks- eventually they'll get over it.

Especially if theyre young- which they must be since theyre in the brooder still.

Thanks!
big_smile.png

My adult girls have been exposed to every conceivable noise level since day 1, as have our newest little ones. They're very adaptable and calm birds now.

I'd say to start the vacuum in another room & see how they're doing. Gradually move it closer. It may be the vibration more than the noise that bothers them.

My cockerel doesnt get too upset by the noise but the sight of it really sets him off. I cant get him to calm down until I get the thing out of his sight. He flew off the porch the first time he saw it, in an effort to get away from the "monster."

Quote:
My birds are the calmest things now. We practically built the coop around them and they never flinched. Still I did almost lose those two hens that day with the lawnmower.
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom