Will there types get along well?

Jaimi

In the Brooder
11 Years
Mar 1, 2008
North Central Alabama
Hello everyone! Im new here, but not so much to chickens.
big_smile.png

I used to have ~15 chickens at once, but over the course of 2 years, we lost several to predators, then just gave some away. My last 4 we taken by a fox last summer.
sad.png

Now, I'm ready to get back into chickens!
I'm looking to start a SMALL flock, with just 8 or so hens and MAYBE a roo sometime down the road.
I dont know a whole lot about the different breeds, so I was wondering if these would get along. Im planing on having one of each:
*Dominique
*Spangled Russain Orloff
*Silver Spangled Hamburg
*Golden Campine
*Black Breasted Red Cubalaya
*Red Shouldered Yokohama
*Ameracucanas
*Blue Andalusian

Also, what kind of roo would cross well with these?
Thanks!

Welcome to BYC!

Very colorful choices! They should all get along fine provided they have enough space. Some of the white egg layers can be a bit flighty but none of those you listed have a reputation for being terribly aggressive. So you should be fine.
smile.png

If you want a mellow rooster out of those breeds I'd go with a Dom or Orloff, but you can find nice roosters in any of the other breeds too so it's up to you.
big_smile.png

I don't know much about roos in general because this is my first flock, but my Golden Campine 'hen' turned out a bit cockier than expected and he's wonderful. It's a small breed so there's not too much wear on my hens (which are all heavy breeds for the most part) and not so horrible on my Silkie, which is the only bantie of the flock. He's gorgeous to me, though maybe not as elaborate as some breeds, and has a wonderful personality and great disposition. Granted, his spurs aren't fully grown in so I may be changing my tune in the future!
gig.gif

Back
Top Bottom