1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Will these eggs hatch?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by beakmaster, Mar 18, 2013.

1. beakmaster

beakmaster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2013
    Panama City, Florida
    I put a bunch of eggs in my refrigerator and later put them in my incubator. I read that you could store eggs in a fridge but with the eggs already in incubate, I put a thermometer in my fridge and the temp was 38 degrees. Is this too cold for eggs? I had them in there for about 5 days at the most, some were less. I have no candling light so maybe y'all know a free/easy way to candle eggs. Thanks much!

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    You may get lucky and hatch one or two.

I've hatched a few eggs that had set in a fridge for a week.

But I was lucky.

yeah, 38 is too cold.

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    You are pushing your luck with refrigerated fertile eggs. You probably won't get any to hatch having gotten so cold.

4. cmfarm

cmfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Elgin, TX
    I have hatched quite a few chicks from refrigerated eggs, so I don't see why not. I would get around 65% hatch rate.

5. Old Rando

Old Rando Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    For several years I have hatched only refrigerated chicken eggs with about 90% success rate. I started doing this after reading of several chicken breeders that hatched hundreds of eggs yearly using this method with great success. . Heat is the enemy of fertile eggs not cold. This made sense to me. Bacteria and decomposition occurs in warm not cold temperatures. Eggs that are intended for eating are refrigerated to preserve them longer while room temperature eggs will degenerate quicker. Hatcheries also keep their eggs cool before hatching. Chicken eggs have been shown to be quite viable as long as they don't freeze

I have never tried quail eggs that were refrigerated yet but I will this summer. Maybe it won't work with quail eggs but I don't know why their eggs would be more delicate to cooler temperatures than chickens which are a descendant of a tropical species.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by