Will these work as nest boxes

si vis pacem, para b
I took some 5 gallon buckets and cut the lids in half and put them back on the buckets. I decided that the opening was too small for my RIR's. I took the lids back to the miter saw and cut them off again. I would say that there is 1/3 of the lid left. I put them back on and put two golf balls in the two bucket nests and the chickens lay in them just fine. I wanted some of the square ones like you have but all I could find was the round ones. I'd say they'll work fine. I mounted mine about a foot off the floor in my hen house.

Welcome aboard!

Last edited:
I get the square buckets free at work, I tried them for nests and they are too small for my girls. I have Orps, SLW, GSL, and Production Reds. The round 5gal buckets work well. Right now I'm useing dog crates.

We have three 10x10x9 laundry buckets, (as well as several old drawers) hung up for the banties. So far I've had a RIR, Brown Leghorn and a Dominique decide to use them too. The RIR looks funny squeezing her big butt in them.

96760_img_2088_2_640x427.jpg

Quote:
Love the drawers.... My husband used an old bed head and foot board to make a frame for our nesting boxes.... I have seen where someone used an old chest of drawers for nesting.... It was really cool....

I used the round buckets and cut the lids in half. We also cut holes in the walls ( on the run side) and pushed the buckets through to maintain the amount of space in the coop since its pretty small to begin with. The roosts are right in front of the buckets so its easy for my ladies to access. However, they seem to prefer to use only one of the two that we installed for them.

Quote:
thumbsup.gif
Great idea about cutting and fitting in the wall. I was thinking of doing that with some solar lawn lights. That way they will charge without me having to get them and making sure they are charged for the night. I know I sound crazy but they seem to be much happier when they have alittle light at night.
D.gif

Quote:
Thank you, the wooden drawers came out of a old vanity type dresser, and we put the vanity in the other part of my hen house. There are nests on each side where the drawers were, and four across the vanity top in different sizes. The hens use these boxes more than the ones DH built and hung up on the walls.

Back
Top Bottom