KikiDeAnime

Spooky
6 Years
Dec 29, 2017
Battle Ground, WA
I started collecting one of our ducks' eggs because someone is going to come tomorrow to take a few to see if they hatch. Our drake breeds this duck 3 times a day so I'm pretty sure they'll hatch. I'm giving the eggs to the lady for free because it's just a test.
Anyway, I was keeping the eggs in an carton in a nice cool and dark area of the house. However when I went to check on them an hour ago, I found them missing from the egg carton. Found out that someone decided to put them under one of our hens that was sleeping in the nesting box.
The lady only lives 12-13 mins away from us.
The lady still wants to take them even if they were under our hen.
I'm giving her 5 eggs. I'll be collecting tomorrow morning's egg as well so that'll make the count 5.

After she picks them up, will the eggs stay warm enough until she puts them in her incubator tomorrow?

If it is just a short trip they should be fine. Brooding chickens usually get off the nest for a little bit to eat/drink so eggs usually have a small period without the hen on them.

How long were they under the hen ?
From whenever someone put them under until 2am today. I took them inside, wrapped them in a warm towel, and used a few heating pads to keep them warm.
Unfortunately, the lady is actually coming tomorrow. Things came up for her and she wasn't able to come pick them up today.
I plan on putting them back under the hen tonight when she gets back into the nesting box to sleep.
Also, just so you know this hen isn't broody. Just likes sleeping in the nesting box at night now and I haven't been able to break her of this even with locking the nesting boxes before bed.

They're still really warm, almost hot-like.
No way to know....

an hour or two of cooling is fine...

but a night (8 hours? 10? ) of incubation followed by 14 hours of cooling? That greatly increases the likelihood that they will not hatch, EXCEPT my ducks when brooding would at time be very spotty the first few days of brooding, and still hatch fine... so maybe since it is at the very beginning they might still work.

No way to know....

an hour or two of cooling is fine...

but a night (8 hours? 10? ) of incubation followed by 14 hours of cooling? That greatly increases the likelihood that they will not hatch, EXCEPT my ducks when brooding would at time be very spotty the first few days of brooding, and still hatch fine... so maybe since it is at the very beginning they might still work.
14 hours of cooling??? I never said they cooled down at all. I kept them warm the entire time and they're still warm

14 hours of cooling??? I never said they cooled down at all. I kept them warm the entire time and they're still warm

I took them inside, wrapped them in a warm towel, and used a few heating pads to keep them warm.

I missed the heating pad part... I just read "wrapped in warm towel"

With using heating pads... but only guessing at temp.. I would guess they are too warm...

Especially since I am now re-reading and understand that
They're still really warm, almost hot-like.
Is because they are on a heating pad.. not just because they were freshly from the chicken and carefully wrapped.

Of course.... if she has the space to incubate them... no harm in trying.

I missed the heating pad part... I just read "wrapped in warm towel"

With using heating pads... but only guessing at temp.. I would guess they are too warm...

Especially since I am now re-reading and understand that

Is because they are on a heating pad.. not just because they were freshly from the chicken and carefully wrapped.

Of course.... if she has the space to incubate them... no harm in trying.
She has an incubator that doesn't have anything in it

Back
Top Bottom