Will they be okay in just their run?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by lhayes1976, May 28, 2011.

1. lhayes1976

lhayes1976 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 8, 2010
    Louisville, KY
    The run is finished, and the girls are in it. It's completely predator proof, but there is no shelter. Will they be okay for one night? I'm so nervous--this is their first night out of the garage. I do have a tablecloth I could put at one end. There coop is finished, but we need some extra help in getting it moved to it's permanent spot. I just cannot put them back in that rubbermaid container.

2. Silkie Sue

Silkie Sue Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2007
    Sarnia, Ontario
    is it supposed to rain

3. animalpro24

animalpro24 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Oregon
    Do you have a small table or boxes you can set out there for them to have shelter? That would work.

4. motoclown

motoclown Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2010
    New Castle, PA
    Put the plastic tub out there turned on its side or a box.
    Maybe a log or roost.

5. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

If you have enough space in your run....which you seem to have, put a temporary shelter in for the 1-night. Tell them it is a camp out until their new digs are ready. That way they will get in the habit of going IN, and if bad weather comes up overnight they will have shelter.

6. lhayes1976

Jan 8, 2010
    Louisville, KY
    No rain tonight--I did flip their old rubbermaid container on it's side and put a piece of cardboard over top of run over the container, but they've decided they would rather huddle in the corner of the run.

7. Silkie Sue

Silkie Sue Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2007
    Sarnia, Ontario
    they should be fine

8. lhayes1976

Jan 8, 2010
    Louisville, KY
    Yeah, they made it throught the night. I worried all night about raccoons. When I went to check on them this , they had scratched all the shavings out of the tub. I really want to get my coop in there, but it looks like one more night.

9. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Quote:You didn't use hardware cloth for the run? Do you have a apron around the bottom . If not I would fixs these problems.

10. lhayes1976

Jan 8, 2010
    Louisville, KY
    Yes the run is made out of hardware cloth, but no apron around the bottom. That's the part that had me worried--we put some boards and rocks around the bottom.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by