Will they be okay in the rain?

JNorth

Chirping
7 Years
Mar 7, 2012
Western New York
We moved our girls into the coop this past weekend. So far, so good. However, they didn't know to go into the coop at night... so we've been closing them up at nightfall to help them figure it out. Yesterday it rained really hard. I went out and got them into the coop because I wasn't sure if I should just let figure it out for themselves or help them along. It supposed to rain again this morning and afternoon.... should I let them go on their own? I'm afraid they won't go in on their own and end up soaked... can ya tell I'm a first timer?!? LOL

Last edited:
You are a new chicken mama, that's for sure, but we've all gone through this too! It usually takes me putting the new chicks in the coop each night for about a week, then one evening, you'll go out and TA-DA!!!!! You'll find they've gone inside on their own!

I worried about my chicks being out in the rain too. They are not always real bright when it comes to keeping themselves dry. Do what you motherly instincts are telling you, and put them inside if they're just standing there in the rain. (At least for the first week anyhow, then they will probably seek shelter on their own.) I would especially worry if it was a little chilly and rainy.

Just a tip: I keep my chick crumbles inside, and water outside. Chickens are so messy, and they will spill that food. Here in Ohio it does get rainy in the springtime, then that food would get wet, and it would mix in the run with the sand then it would stink. So I had to scrape the area underneath the feeder and what a stinky job! Hard work too. I just wanted to mention that when you said it was rainy up there in NY.

Take care and have a great day,
Sharon

I put my feathered-out chicks into the coop with the pop door closed for their first week of big chicken life. Once I opened that door, they ventured out into the run but the coop was fully established as their safe home and they'd retreat there to sleep or if they were frightened. That's the easiest way if they don't have any adult chickens to show them what to do.

FWIW, my chickens will hang out in the rain sometimes. One, in particular, seems fond of getting completely soaked when it's been hot and we have a thunderstorm.

Thanks for the info! Yesterday it rained all day and all but one went inside the coop. We have one that likes to stay under the coop. In fact, this one has become a PITA really since we are still locking the girls in at night... she goes under the coop and stands her ground right in the middle, just out of reach! Stubborn little chicky!

I put my feathered-out chicks into the coop with the pop door closed for their first week of big chicken life. Once I opened that door, they ventured out into the run but the coop was fully established as their safe home and they'd retreat there to sleep or if they were frightened. That's the easiest way if they don't have any adult chickens to show them what to do.

FWIW, my chickens will hang out in the rain sometimes. One, in particular, seems fond of getting completely soaked when it's been hot and we have a thunderstorm.

Ok, maybe I should stop calling my birds the witless wonders...
The babies have an excuse, it was their first rain. They panicked and stood by the duck pool screaming until we rescued them

Thanks for the info! Yesterday it rained all day and all but one went inside the coop. We have one that likes to stay under the coop. In fact, this one has become a PITA really since we are still locking the girls in at night... she goes under the coop and stands her ground right in the middle, just out of reach! Stubborn little chicky!

I keep a long plastic tube, like pvc pipe, out be the things they like to hide under, so I can use it to shoo them out and save me crawling under only to have them run

It's my chicks first full night inside the coop and we are having a massive rain thunder lightening and hail storm. They are locked up safe inside the coop but should I bring them inside? Is it to scary for them?

It's my chicks first full night inside the coop and we are having a massive rain thunder lightening and hail storm. They are locked up safe inside the coop but should I bring them inside? Is it to scary for them?

Don't you want them to regard their coop as the safe, dry home where they hide during a storm? Leave them be.

Thank you. I needed to hear that. I've gone outside 6 times and soaked myself and everything they are sleeping all snuggled together and I end up waking them up.

Back
Top Bottom