1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

will they be okay?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by silkielover1731, Apr 15, 2012.

1. silkielover1731

silkielover1731 Chillin' With My Peeps

i go back to school tommrow and i have been turning the eggs at certin times. i am also starting track which starts tommro so i wont get home till like 5 and 4:40ish on fri. so will they be okay if i turn them right before i leave (6:30) have my sister turn them at like 8 before she leaves for work and than again at 5ish when i get home than right before i go to bed? i dont know if this will mess up the whole process of the hatching.....
    thanks in advance,
    silkielover1731

2. emrys

emrys Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2009
    I'm no expert, but none of my hens have watches and there are no clocks in the hen house. I would think several turning during the course of the day should suffice.

3. AinaWGSD

AinaWGSD Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Sullivan, IL
    They'll be fine. I just finished my first hatch last week with a great hatch (about 90% if you don't count the 13 eggs we set that were not fertile to begin with because those hens didn't like my rooster), only one early quitter and only one that went into lock down that didn't hatch. I have a still air incubator and turn by hand. Most days I turned 3 times a day, at approximately the same time of day (within an hour), but there were some days when I could only get home to turn them twice a day. Usually I turn when I get up or right before I go to work (between 5:30 and 7am), when I come home for lunch (between 12:30 and 1:30pm, although it can be as late as 2:30 on weekends if I get busy and forget during the "lunch hour"), and again before bed (around 8:30-10pm). About once or twice a week through the whole incubation process there would be a day when I couldn't do the mid-day turning, so the eggs only got turned in the morning and about 12-14 hours later before bed. Personally, if I were in your shoes I probably wouldn't bother asking your sister to turn the eggs at 8 if you'll be turning them an hour and a half earlier, but it's a personal decision.

4. silkielover1731

silkielover1731 Chillin' With My Peeps

okay thanks i just didnt want anything to happen to them

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by