1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Will they begin to lay eggs in the winter?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by suburbanduckmom, Nov 9, 2009.

1. suburbanduckmom

suburbanduckmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Belmont, CA
    I have a 6 week Pekin female and an 10 week Muscovy (that we think is a) female. When will they start laying eggs? Will they start to lay in the winter? I live in California and we have pretty mild winters if that makes a difference.

2. classroomducks

classroomducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2009
    Fort Worth, Tx
    I think six weeks is kind of young....

Six months...? Maybe.....Im def not the expert but Im pretty sure 6 weeks is too young...

Anyone else?

3. Ducks-R-Us

Ducks-R-Us Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2009
    North Dakota
    Quote:Yes six weeks is way to young. Ducks reach matuerity at 4 months. And since suburbanduckmom lives in Califonia i think they would keep on laying.

4. TennesseeTruly

TennesseeTruly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Church Hill, TN
    My one Pekin didn't start to lay until she was almost 6 months old. I was complaining because my neighbors Runners were laying at 4 months. I have two 5 month old Pekins who aren't laying yet but they're 8 month old sister is.

Laurie

5. Ducks-R-Us

Ducks-R-Us Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2009
    North Dakota
    I have three pekin hens and two of them started a couple weeks ago at 5 months of age - I am still waiting for the third to start.

6. tia

tia Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Valdez, Alaska
    Do runners lay earlier??? I have some that hatched the end of July. I was wondering how soon it would be before they start laying.

Tia

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by