Will they calm down?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by muscovy94, Nov 14, 2010.

1. muscovy94

muscovy94 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2008
    Vicksburg, MS
    Hey everyone today i added 2 new oegb pullets to my oegb flock. Ever since I put the 2 new girls in there, they have been trying to start fights with everyone, even the roos! Will they calm down as they get more settled?

2. Barry Natchitoches

Barry Natchitoches Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2008
    Tennessee
    I always separate the new birds from the old ones with a see-through wire cage or some chicken wire for a week or two before I let them co-mingle.

And then when I finally let them co-mingle, I only let them co-mingle for a few well supervised hours the first day or two.

I find that this keeps the fighting down to a minimum....

(I used to have sometimes even brutal fighting between groups before I adopted the idea of see first -- live together later. Now, I dont' have that brutal fighting as they get to know one another anymore.)

3. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    Quote:This is always a good idea. That's how I introduce new members to the existing flock. If the fighting does not stop, I would try this [​IMG]

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Pecking order. Normal chicken behavior. You have disrupted it, and they must reestablish their rank.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by