will they eat macadamia nuts?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by mendozer, Jan 7, 2012.

1. mendozer

mendozer Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2011
    seattle
    I burnt some today doing a recipe. will they eat nuts in moderation?

2. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    Macadamia nuts are very good proteins for all mammals but they are to hard for chickens to chew. You must break them up in a food processor or I bought a coffee grinder a few years ago and grind nuts, sunflower seeds, flax seed and linseed up and scoop it and put it on top of things they like that are wet. melon rind, oatmeal and the rice we feed them for treats once in a while. Do not be surprised if they do not eat it the first time or 2 bc nuts are an acquired taste and there are some nuts like walnut and pecan that have a bitter bite to them. That's why I say sprinkle it on rice or mix with the chopped egg or ????? Good luck.

3. mendozer

Feb 27, 2011
    seattle
    its pulsed already into smaller bits almost the size of their feed. i'll give it a shot. just wanted to know if it was a dangerous food for them

4. westes

westes Out Of The Brooder

Mendozer, I am dying to know how did your chickens like the macadamia nuts?

Macadamia has one of the healthiest fat profiles of any nut. If I could find a cheap source for the nuts (a local farmer for example) it would be interesting to incorporate this into a feed.

5. mendozer

Feb 27, 2011
    seattle
    whoa. waaaay old thread. I'm on my 4th flock now and I can't even remember if I gave them nuts to begin with.

6. westes

westes Out Of The Brooder

If you get the chance to run that experiment with your fourth flock, please come back and let us know how they like macadamia. It would be great if that worked well for them, as it is such a healthy kind of fat in that nut.

7. mendozer

Feb 27, 2011
    seattle
    I don't think I've ever fed nuts to any of my chickens before. I suppose you could pulverize it into dust then mix it into feed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by