Will they ever get along? Integrating different ages of chickens.

Quote:
I hope you have better luck soon!
big_smile.png
I thought I heard you can remove the dominate older birds, and they will accept the babies easier.
smile.png

I just experimented with letting my two 12-week BRs in with my four 17-week girls (1 EE, 1 Delaware, 1 RIR, 1 Australorp), and I'm not sure how I'm going to manage this. They had periods of calm scratching in the dirt, and other moments of nuclear warfare with feathers flying. I intervened in the really over-the-top attacks, but let them assert themselves with milder pecking and posturing. The problem is that the two littler ones are in a separate pen with a little cage they stay in at night, and the big girls have the coop. I think they'll probably get used to one another out in the run, but how can I get the two younger ones into the coop safely? It's not a big coop, so I don't think I have room to put the cage or any other enclosure in there, which sounds like it'd be ideal. Should I put the two little ones in the coop by themselves one day to let them get acquainted with it? I don't know how they'll ever associate it with a safe place if the big girls are hanging around in there. I want to get them all integrated before anybody starts laying eggs... Fingers crossed...
hide.gif

Quote:
That's the thing . . its mostly the two low ranking, younger birds that are being the big problem . . . .

Sounds normal to me. The lowest ranking birds are always the meanest, because they are trying to move up in rank. They have to be mean to survive, while the top dogs get what they want via their status (to a point anyway, not to say that they aren't agressive)

They see the chicks as fresh meat who can be dominated and suddenly the lowest ranking bird isn't lowest ranking anymore! Voila!
Chickens are bullies.
tongue.png

Really? my lowest ranking bird stands clear of everyone except ''her'' rooster (he likes her best). If she gets too close to the highest ranking hen she gets a good hard peck on the back. Even the newbies beat up on her. I feel kind of bad for her.
sad.png

I did what Jossanne did. My pullets are 4 weeks apart and were quite different in size at the time. Now they are closer to the same size.

I have 4 two-year old hens and 6-13week chicks. About a month ago I moved the little girls into the coop in a wire cage. The big girls were not too happy for a few days. I let everybody out to free range for short supervised periods. After a week I tried taking the cage out in the evening but in the morning they were not happy so I put the cage back for another week. The next time I took it out I put a wire fence in that the little girls could scoot behind if needed, this helped. Finally I took the fence out and kept an eye on them. I also left them out to free range most of the day so they would have more space. Today when I let them into their run they seem to be getting along better, everybody is hanging out in the yard together. Maybe we're over the hump. I think time will help, good luck!

I'm seeing some glimmers of hope . . . the smaller pullets seem a bit more comfortable around the older ones. Though they still won't fight back, I've seen some inklings that they might soon (since they chest bump with one another frequently) and I saw one of them at least "think about it" a few days ago.

I have three sets of chickens from March, May and June and they're finally all in the run and coop together. I kept the youngest chicks in the a clear plastic box which I took out into the yard. Then I let some of the older chickens out and approach the box. Then, let the chicks out while the older ones were kept in the run. Then let a couple of the older chickens out with the chicks. Then, kept the brooder box in the coop but so that the older chickens couldn't get them. Then, let them all outside together. Finally, all in the coop together, all the time. I think I did that over 1.5 to 2 weeks. There were, of course, still some feathers lost, but they all seem to keep together based on age. Some of the youngest chicks, presumably roos, actually go after the older chickens. I also always kept separate feeders and waterers for them.

Back
Top Bottom