Will they roost with their rears against the wall?

lhayes1976

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jan 8, 2010
Louisville, KY
I'm doing the finishing touches to 3x4 coop. After finishing my roost and poop board set-up, I realized I did not center the poop board under the roost. I just assumed they would roost the way I wanted them to with their butts against the wall. So now I'm thinking I may have to come up with another poop board solution. My husband thinks they will not look at the wall, but the little window across the coop when they roost. So is it butt in or butt out?

They will face whichever way they want to. Some of mine face the wall and some look out.

In nature birds always roost facing different ways so they can watch all points of the compass for impending danger. OK, I just made that part up...

Okay--so how far does an "average" poo drop. Will drop straight down? I know they do have blow outs sometimes, but does most of just drop straight down? Maybe if I put a picture of a racoon on the wall, they won't look in that direction.

I have 3 roost boards that are the same heighth (48") with a ladder accessing them. Birds roosting on the board closest to the wall all face out. On the other boards most face away from the wall while a few face the opposite direction.

In general, chickens won't do much of what you want them to do...lol. Mine usually face forward, because I have a window slightly forward of the roosts...but of course other times one or two won't. If there's 8 inches of dropping board on the lesser side, I'd say you'll be safe. Six inches and maybe...if they have good aim. But I'd bet yours will face away from the wall MOST of the time, so it'll still help, even if your dropping board isn't easily adjusted.

Last edited:
It's funny you asked. My daughter and her husband came to visit this weekend and wanted to see the chickens in the coop late last night. When we looked in, two were facing away from the wall and 6 were facing the wall. Not scientific at all but that's last nights sampling. Whe I look in most nights, they're about the same with most facing the wall and a couple lokking ahead into the coop. Perhaps you should widen the boards.

Quote:
If it helps any, I have 16"-wide droppings boards, centered under the roost, and they catch most but not all of the poo. I am going to guess maybe 90%? Something like that anyhow.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

mine sleep differently each night. we have started a family pool to see who can best guess where the darn things will be sleeping (i only have two hens right now).

Instead of widening the board, why not just set a old cookie pan or one of the rubbermaid trays they sell for behind the seat in SUVs? Then you can simply carry it outside and clean it.

Mine like to look out their window but usually there is a odd one who's gotta moon the crowd. The only consistant is my roo who always is looking outside for trouble

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom