Will They Start Laying This Time of Year?

bcmama

Songster
8 Years
Jul 12, 2012
My Coop
My Coop
I have 2 BR and 2 EE that are 19 weeks old and I was wondering if they will start laying this time of year or will I have to wait until Spring to see any action? The only thing I'm finding in the nest boxes is poop :(

they will if you put a light in their coop to trick them into thinking the days are longer. Just leave it on a few hours after sunset (I leave mine on until about 9 or 10pm) you don't need to leave it on all the time. If you can put it on a timer so you don't have to remember to turn it on and off.

Depends on a few things. EE usually lay later and BR sooner. Lighting may help but be sure the give them 6-8 hours of dark rest every night. If they are sleeping in the nest boxes I would staple half "curtains" to the nest boxes with 3 inch slits to discourage sleeping up in them (just google image nest box curtains). You should have eggs soon. :)

I hope so. I have 6 random breeds that are all between 22-25 weeks, not a single egg yet =(

Yes, they will lay if they have enough light and arent under a lot of stress.

I have 12 little sweeties I got as 1 day old chicks on mothers day. They have been starting to lay since early October, and I get more eggs every day. I was steady at 3 a day until about a week ago, and sometimes I get 4, sometimes 6. I've got 3 Americaunas, and my very first green egg came yesterday ;) - did I mention its getting below 0 at night?

Have patience. It will happen!

Yes, mine were all at about laying age, added some extra light, BOOM, egg production was kick started. I have 35 hens and usually get 18-22 eggs a day. 10 of my hens are not laying because they are moulting/ haven't started yet.
I have 4 EE's in total, and only one has started laying!!! She started early, but now I am getting impatient for the others to start!!

Thanks everyone. Then I will wait. I had already added the extra light. I have a timer in the coop that goes on at dusk and off at around 10pm. They shouldn't be under any stress. They have a pretty nice life that includes fresh treats everyday and I clean their run every other day. I wish someone took as good of care of me :)) I shall just be patient, but I didn't know with the sun going down so early, 5:15-5:30pm if it would actually happen in the darkness of autumn or winter?

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom