Will this be enough room?

Thank you for sharing your shower curtain idea. I was thinking about the heavy opaque plastic for covering sides if a torential rain comes through. I live in texas between Houston and Galveston. The hurricane season has been very quiet but we've had more rain this year. It's been very dry last 5 years. Anyway. I'm going to find some clear shower curtains. It may come in handy

I guess you can say my coop is like the Wichita coop. The coop is enclosed in the run. The structure is 4x8x6. The nest/roost area is 4x3x4. I started out with 4 girls but there was a wild card in the bunch so now it's Wild Bill and 3 girls. The roost is designed like a tool caddy. A 3 inch lip around and center roost is 8 inches high. This gives them plenty of head room when full grown. I have 2 nest boxes. I don't think they are too crowded but come winter if I see a problem I can move the entrance wall out some. Hubby used wood screws so we can make changes if needed. I don't plan to increase my flock and if my rooster becomes aggressive he will get re-homed. Are your chickens going to free range?

They are going to be free range when I am home to keep an eye on them. I only work 3 days a week at an animal hospital, so they will be free range most of the week.

I drive a school bus. Start back to school the 26th of August. I've tried to have everything worked out to a routine before then. I added a picture of the roost house. The roost doesn't look very tall, we made sure they would have plenty head room when they are full grown. My tallest bird can stand straight up doesn't hit the roof. There's plenty of room for all 4 birds to roost but a couple of them tend to roost on the sides.

I'd like to know how he attached the shower curtains as well. But I'm sure my hubby will be able to figure something out. He is very handy. So my first job is to find some clear curtains. Plain, no design is my wish. I've seen them but its been a long time ago. I had an idea to hang them like curtains so I could slide them closed during coldest part of day or night. From the outside. Perhaps using rods on top and bottom secured to the coop in such a way to easily take it all down when not needed. Just brainstorming, thought I'd get some opinions. Everyone here on BYC is so clever and talented, maybe you could give suggestions on how to make it work.

With the shower curtain idea, do you poke holes or anything for extra ventilation?
No, I found that if the vinyl is compromised with a tear or a cut, it just gets bigger with the abuse the wind puts on it. I have 3/4" vents all along one end of the run, where the aluminum roofing meets the supporting 4x6, so there is plenty of air exchange. I've never had any condensation issues, but it does keep the run warmer - the water no longer freezes during the day, so that makes my life easier! Chickens and ducks didn't seem to notice or mind being "closed in".

No, I found that if the vinyl is compromised with a tear or a cut, it just gets bigger with the abuse the wind puts on it. I have 3/4" vents all along one end of the run, where the aluminum roofing meets the supporting 4x6, so there is plenty of air exchange. I've never had any condensation issues, but it does keep the run warmer - the water no longer freezes during the day, so that makes my life easier! Chickens and ducks didn't seem to notice or mind being "closed in".
Where do you live?

Back
Top Bottom