will this flock work?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by scrampsey21, Dec 12, 2016.

1. scrampsey21

scrampsey21 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 4, 2016
    im planning on getting a sex link, easter egger, sussex, hamburg, wyandotte, polish, barred rock and a bantam brahma. Will the brahma be picked on a lot. its the only bantam in the flock.

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Skip the bantam and the polish, both will be targets for bullying. Crested birds should always be raised with other crested birds so there isn't only one, and bantam are best kept with other bantams. Chicken society can be brutal sometimes so you want to give every member an equal chance.

3. AshlyMommaWard

AshlyMommaWard Chillin' With My Peeps

I'd just go with a standard brhama also. If you're allowed roosters where you live and are just in love with the idea of polish, you could choose a polish cockerel, you'd still get the beauty and as long as he asserts his dominate like I know many a bantam rooster do over standard gals then they won't pick on him. Just a thought.

4. scrampsey21

scrampsey21 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 4, 2016
    my coop wont have enough room for another full sized and our neighbors would hate roosters

5. AshlyMommaWard

AshlyMommaWard Chillin' With My Peeps

We'll then I suppose I'd personally skip the polish and Brahma, but neither of them are in my top favorite breeds. They very well could be yours. What I'd most important to you about having chickens? Egg production, beauty, personality?

6. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    What are the dimensions of your coop? If you are putting a bantam in b/c there will not be enough room for an other full sized bird, I fear that you are going to have an overcrowded coop. If you are buying a manufactured coop, you CAN'T go by the recommendations of the manufacturer re: stocking density, as almost all manufacturers misrepresent their product. You will need at least 4 sq. ft. in the coop per bird. If you live in the north where winter weather will keep your birds inside much of the year, you will need even more space. If you ever intend to replace aging birds with younger ones, you will need more space. Ever intend to have a roo? More space also. I strongly recommend that when starting out you understock your coop. I also agree that crested birds do better if in a flock of their own. Same with bantams. Do you live in an area that gets much snow, or much spring mud? I avoid feather footed birds like the plague b/c I don't want birds dealing with ice or mud balls on their feathers, and dragging extra stuff into the nests.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by