1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Will this harm my free-ranging flock?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by fowl weathered friend, Dec 11, 2008.

1. fowl weathered friend

fowl weathered friend Out Of The Brooder

Oct 1, 2008
    Tucson, AZ
    I'm starting a new vegetable garden and have a large bag or starbucks coffee grounds to till into the soil. My hens range wherever they please and have access to this area. If they scratch at or ingest some of the coffee grounds infused dirt will this harm them?

2. Jenski

Jenski Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2008
    Middle Tennessee
    I have read of other folks actually feeding chickens coffee grounds. May have juiced-up chickens, but I don't think it will harm them. I would be careful to allow chicken-scratched earth to set for at least 3-4 months before planting to allow bacteria/harmful microbes/protozoa to die off.

3. bluey

bluey thootp veteran

Apr 10, 2008
    Washington, PA
    I did that once and now all of my chickens loiter in the garden for hours with their laptops surfing the web. [​IMG]

4. seismic wonder2

seismic wonder2 I got mad ninja skills

Feb 3, 2007
    san diego ca
    I don't think it will hurt them but they may start firing eggs like a gatling gun![​IMG]

Really though. I do the same thing and my silkies seem normal. (as normal as they are anyway. LOL)

5. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    ::snort:::

Good one blue

6. Jenski

Jenski Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2008
    Middle Tennessee
    I would stop immediately if my chickens started coming to my window ordering venti half-caf lattes with Korintje cinnamon sprinkles.

7. beakkeeper

beakkeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2008
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG]

8. jacyjones

jacyjones Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    Aberystwyth, Wales
    Quote:[​IMG]

9. The caffine is pretty much gone after use. Coffee grounds have been known to be good for chickens becuase of their gizzard.
    I would imagin though, that the poop would be sorta wierd.

What was that coffee Jack Nicholson drank in the move "bucket list " ??

10. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by