1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Will this hen ever lay eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by gottsegnet, Sep 14, 2009.

1. gottsegnet

gottsegnet Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2009
    Nebraska
    We have four chickens: an australorp, Rhode Island Red, red sex link and a brown leghorn.

The brown leghorn is the one causing difficulties. She is the same age as all the others, who have been laying for almost a month. We're getting 2-3 eggs a day, but the leghorn persists in not laying anything.

I thought they were supposed to be early maturing. Could something be wrong with her? She's the only one who is supposed to lay white eggs, and all of our eggs have definitely been brown so far.

2. Rockpile99

Rockpile99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2009
    Longmont
    I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one having trouble with my Brown Leghorn.

I got two EE's one Leg horn and two Cuckoo Marans in March.. I'm down to just one Maran (cockerel), but still have the three girls. The EE's have been laying since the end of June. I think the BL may have laid an egg 2-3x; on all occasions, I had collected two (EE) eggs from the boxes and found an extra (what used to be an egg) either on the ground or in the box. The third egg has been very soft shelled and been broken when I found it. Luckily it doesn't seem like I have any egg eaters as I've found some of the white and yolk material laying beside or under the broken egg. I was chalking it up to first pullet eggs but she only lays these eggs, and they come about every 7-10 (at least). She is now almost 6 months old. Everyone looks and acts very healthy. I have a total of 9 chickens, their coop is 4x8 and their run probably about 30 x 100.

The marans roo lost both of his primary tail feathers so I figured that a molt was happening. He hasn't really lost any more feathers though.
    I don't know, never seen or done any research on molting, but aside from the everyday tussle feathers, I don't see anyone loosing large quantities of feathers.

I keep telling her everyday that I want eggs but so far it's fallen on deaf ears!

Last edited: Sep 14, 2009
  3. muddypuddles

muddypuddles Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2009
    I feel your pain. I have a 27 week old cochin that has not laid an egg yet! [​IMG] Her brooder buddy has been laying for 6 weeks!

4. Dixiedoodle

Dixiedoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    I do not have leghorns but I do have 3 RIR (only one is laying), 3 Barred Rocks (two are laying), 2 Buff Orpingtons (neither are laying) and 2 Ameraucanas (that are not laying)--all of them are 27+weeks and only three are laying... I asked myself --more than a few times-- will they ever lay??

Don't know why my girls aren't laying yet--but the three eggs a day do help...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by