Will this idea for a portable run be ok in my area?

I've been using the plastic poultry netting and those green plastic coated metal garden stakes to make temporary runs for my ladies. I love it! So easy to move around. I only let them in it when I'm out with them though as ground predators would be under or over it in a heartbeat. I cover the top with bird netting (like you put over berries) just so my hens don't fly over the fence. It keeps them put.

Does anyone think this spot will work for a Coop all enclosed with hardware cloth? I don't plan on having more than 4 chickens and I will be ables to let them free range in the yard.

The more narrow pic is of the access to the back of the larger pic and the size of the larger area is 3 feet 5 inches wide and 11 feet long. It narrows toward the back at 3 feet 2 inches. I was thinking I would put the Coop on legs so they have all eleven feet to roam until I let them out. If this is too small, I could put them in a larger spot but it gets way too much sun in the summer in that area.

I wish I could use the shed that is in the pic but it is being used. Notice the area I want to put it had river rock. Is that bad for their feet? I would put down wood chips on top but I don't know if that would be ok on top of the rock. I could rake all that rock away but I thought it might be good for drainage and keeping them dry but I don't know if they are too big or if I should put small gravel or something else?

Thanks for all the advice

Just an idea...You could take the rocks out and throw some wheat grass seeds in there. Rotate the birds every time the grass grows (about 2 weeks). They will have lots to scratch and will keep the grass low. Not a lot of maintenance. Eventually, the sand will disappear into the grown and will have to be replaced. They will have more fun pecking and scratching at the grass more than the rocks and sand.

Back
Top Bottom