Will this work as a brooder?

So you are on an island on the east coast of Georgia. Really nice weather. The weather when you do this is important.

Are you talking about Cornish X, Rangers of some type, or getting some dual purpose cockerels to raise for meat? That could make a difference.

My first brooder was a 3' x 5' outdoor brooder. I raised 28 dual purpose chicks in it until they were 5 weeks old, about a half of a square feet per chick. Most of those were females. I also raised 21 dual purpose chicks until five weeks in it but those were mostly males. At the end of five weeks both groups were getting crowded. It was time to let them out. Rangers will grow faster than dual purpose chicks. Cornish X will grow even faster. You need room for a feeder and waterer. I don't believe in those square feet per chick numbers, each situation is different.

I have not raised Cornish X or Rangers. This type of question is discussed on the meat bird section of this forum. I don't much like the search feature on this forum but there are threads about brooding Cornish X and for how long. You can always start your own thread there and draw on their experience with your types of meat birds. From what I've read Cornish X don't need heat for very long compared to dual purpose birds.

I brood outside in the coop. One summer during a ridiculous (for us) heat wave I turned the heat off during the day at 2 days for dual purpose birds. I turned the overnight heat off at 5 days. They very clearly did not need it. I do not know what conditions you will be brooding in (inside or outside) or what the temperatures will be. To me a 2 x 4 brooder for 20 to 25 birds sounds really small but you may not need it for long.

I don't know how you are going to house them after the brooder either. You may be able to use that tank for a week or so and them move them to a more permanent residence if you can provide a warm spot in there, if needed. Personally I put my dual purpose chicks in my outdoor brooder straight from the incubator or post office. All they need is a spot that is warm enough in the coldest weather and a cool spot in the warmest weather. You may not need a brooder at all, not like a conventional brooder.

Back
Top Bottom