will this work as quail cage?

animalgirl2010

Songster
11 Years
May 9, 2008
bootheel of missouri
Hi everyone... so I have been wanting quail for a while but wanted to get a cage built before I get them. My dad found this on the side of the road and picked it up and was going to build nest boxes with it. But guess he got a new idea and built different ones so this has been just sitting around and I was wondering with some adjustments could this be made into a quail cage? I was thinking maybe paint it and maybe add wire to the sides and bottom of each cage with slide out trays? But I dont know alot about building stuff so I dont know if it will work. The dimensions are L 34", W 16", H 15" for each space. Could you put a pair in each cage or is it too small for that? Sorry about all the questions just trying to get some info before I do anything so I dont mess it up. thanks:)
004-2.jpg

003-5.jpg

What kind of quail were you thinking of getting? I would think a pen that size would work for a breeder quad or quint of coturnix. They only need about 1 sq. ft. per bird.

I can't get my brain working right, but it seems that would work for even 7 or 8 birds. You could have probably 8 females and 2 males in a cage that size..

Last edited:
3.78 birds if you want to give them a square foot per bird, or 7.5 birds per compartment if you want to give them half a square foot per bird.
wink.png

You should be able to make a nice rack cage with it. You could probably even line the bottoms with linoleum if you want to put them on straight bedding without a wire bottom.

Ok thank you.
big_smile.png

I was thinking of getting some a&m corturnix I guess they are the same size as regular cortunix just color being the difference.
Im soo excited Im gonna get started asap!!! I never thought of using linoleum I may try that. Yes I will be doing lots of hammering and with my luck with tools and such I will be sure and take bandaids and neosporin.
lol.png

It may or may not work, it just depends on your personal preference. All of my birds are indoors, so personally, linoleum would be easier, no wire to have to hose or scrub, just use a handheld broom and dustpan to sweep the bottom, wipe it with a wipe or clorox wash rag, dry and refill with bedding. I just think that with wood, it may be better to use linoleum, less chance of rotting the wood or creating mold problems. Or, if you use wire, you could just get a cheap paint and paint the wood to make it water resistant.

A & Ms can sometimes be pretty HUGE but most breeders only have the normal jumbo sized coturnix type. If all were around an lb (which is really hard to find these days) you may only able to fit 4 per shelf...but if you get monsters that big, gimmie their numbers! I need monsters and can't find any (monsters 13+ ounces lol)!

I got everything painted and got the wire put on the bottom. It doesnt look as great as the ones I have seen on here but I think this may work and I like it mostly because it has been almost free. I had everything laying around the house except for the wire and I still have to figure something out for trays. Here are the pictures of progress from today
smile.png

004-3.jpg

Back
Top Bottom