Will this work for a coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by grammaC, Aug 17, 2011.

1. grammaC

grammaC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2011
    SE Minnesota
    Just bought a place in the country and there's an old milk house attached to the barn. Cleaned it out and power-washed it. The concrete floor is cracked and there's a (slow) drain in it. Will this be alright for a chicken coop? Folks before had chickens in it, but used the deep litter method (about 5 years' deep) I was surprised to find the drain! I'd like to use it for my coop since it's insulated, has water & electricity, plus windows for ventilation. I'm only getting about 10 laying hens.

[​IMG]

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
  3. stubbornhill

stubbornhill Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Shapleigh, Maine
    Absolutely, it's a concrete mosaic! Where people had chickens in it before. I would just scrub it real well with bleach water and let it dry sufficiantly. I know you said you have already power washed it and maybe you used bleach as well. Just a suggestion as you never know what someone elses chickens may have been carrying for diseases, etc. Congratulations on your new home and for jumping into the chicken world!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by