will this work in the winter?

jayke563

Chirping
May 21, 2015
Northern Massachusetts
hello, I have 2 silkies and they started laying a few months back and I really wanted them to be broody. but one of them was broody and gave up after two days if I leave 7 golf balls in the nest boxes and put extra lighting in the coop to simulate spring and summer will they go broody? because if I get one of my hens to hatch eggs now they will start laying by the time spring and summer rolls around... so if I leave 7 golf balls in there and put extra lighting in the mornings to simulate summer and spring will that make them want to be broody because I have a broody Easter egger that had 7 chicks but she only has 2 left from birds like crows and Hawks. oh and if the silkies see that she has babies will they want to have them also just wondering thank you !:lol:
:fl

It's a little late in the year to start supplemental lighting. In about 3 more weeks, days will begin to lengthen again. Just be patient and don't try to force it. Young pullets are not known to be consistent broodies. Not every Silkie will be broody, and some may go broody for a week or two at a time, but never long enough to hatch anything.
Broodiness is triggered by hormones, and it's not something you can really control. For some hens, the dummy eggs in the nest is enough to bring it on. I, personally, have not seen a hen go broody just because of leaving eggs in the nest. Having babies around will not make them go broody either.

hello, I have 2 silkies and they started laying a few months back and I really wanted them to be broody. but one of them was broody and gave up after two days if I leave 7 golf balls in the nest boxes and put extra lighting in the coop to simulate spring and summer will they go broody? because if I get one of my hens to hatch eggs now they will start laying by the time spring and summer rolls around... so if I leave 7 golf balls in there and put extra lighting in the mornings to simulate summer and spring will that make them want to be broody because I have a broody Easter egger that had 7 chicks but she only has 2 left from birds like crows and Hawks. oh and if the silkies see that she has babies will they want to have them also just wondering thank you !
lol.png

fl.gif

XD Well Silkies are the best breed for hatching little babies, Aww that's funny Silkies are very good sitters, LOL it might work, Oh dear
hugs.gif
that to has been happening to me to, Sometimes my Silkie hens do that.
fl.gif

Our silkie went broody for about a week. She insisted on sitting on that empty space and grouched about being moved each time. But like junebuggena said, she is young and didn't sit long enough.

It's a little late in the year to start supplemental lighting. In about 3 more weeks, days will begin to lengthen again. Just be patient and don't try to force it. Young pullets are not known to be consistent broodies. Not every Silkie will be broody, and some may go broody for a week or two at a time, but never long enough to hatch anything.
Broodiness is triggered by hormones, and it's not something you can really control. For some hens, the dummy eggs in the nest is enough to bring it on. I, personally, have not seen a hen go broody just because of leaving eggs in the nest. Having babies around will not make them go broody either.
I live in Massachusetts day light savings doesn't 't start till march here

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom