Will this work??? (Semi free range question)

Jambruins

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jul 1, 2009
Below is a picture of my yard. It is kind of hard to see but hopefully you will get the idea. The coop will be right above the word coop. The big white/gray object above the word coop is a barn. In the picture beneath the barn and to the left of the barn are tall brush. It is pretty thick so I don't think chickens would go through it. The hayfield is about 15-20 acres and continues past the bottom of the photo. The black line I drew is where my lawn/grass meets the hayfield. I want to install some kind of fence along the black line. How long would the fence have to go to keep the chicken from walking to the right in the photo and around the fence? How high would the fence have to be? I own all the land and buildings in the photo but I would like to keep the chickens on the bottom part of the photo. Thanks.

35739_yard.jpg

My chicken house is about 100 yards from the front corner of my house...My chickens are frequently in the woods behind the house and in the back yard when I turn them loose...Might be better just to fence them an area off with some field fencing.

My young chickens basically cleared paths through thickly growing rasperries, so I think your chickens will like the brush. However, predators will as well.

My standard heavy breed chickens do not often fly over my 42 inch high fence, but I know banties and lighter standard breeds (like leghorns) will need a much higher fence to keep them in.

My Chickens are in a portable completely enclosed eletronetted pasture, so I do not know exactly how far they will roam a long a fence to find a break in it. But I think it is quite a bit farther than we would like for our own convenience. If there is plenty of interesting stuff to peck at, you may get lucky and they will decide to stay to the back of your property.

They are going to stratch holes in your hay field for certain.

Looks like a mighty nice set up. Congratulations!

I think I would fence off about a half acre enclosure dependng on the number of chickens. If they can find plenty of grass, bugs, shade and water inside the enclosure they wil be happy.

Back
Top Bottom