will tractor be raccoon-proof enough?

Quote:
Sorry, I must not have explained it well. You must think I am a horrible person indeed ;-P

They will be checked on once PER DAY (by the person who will be coming daily to take care of the horses). Obviously she will feed, water, collect eggs, and take care of poo as necessary, as well as making sure they are generally still alive and such.

And the idea is to put THE TRACTOR inside the chainlink horse paddock, not just the chickens! The chickens will stay INSIDE the tractor of course; it's just that, because they can only get tended once a day, they can't be shut into the shelter part of the tractor at night; I will need to leave the door from the 'shelter' part of the tractor into the 'pen' part open 24 hrs a day while we are gone. Hence the idea of putting several electrified wires around the whole assembly, to hopefully keep coons away from the tractor altogether, in case the silly ladies decide to spend the night in the tractor's "downstairs". I have been told that four hot wires at about 4", 8", 12" and 18" should be pretty effective in repelling coons?

I'm not concerned about losing electricity to the fence - it's a solar charger thus independant of the 'grid', there's really nothing around here that could damage or ground out the fence (too dry for grass to even grow right now!), and in 4 years we've NEVER had problems with losing fence charge except during ice storms, which I am guessing are unlikely this time of year :)

Does that make more sense?

Pat

Brain fog ! I re-read what you wrote and it makes since. Once a day it is.

I am predator paranoid, and I would still worry about flying predators during the day and owls at night if they are not in a covered enclosure;.

Back
Top Bottom