Will turkeys fertilize a chicken if female turkey isn't available.

rhondajustus

Hatching
Jan 6, 2016
I have 1 Tom turkey and no females. I do have 28 chickens, 23 hens and 3 roosters. I went out today and my turkey was acting odd. All hunched down and shaking. He did come or gobble like usual when I go out. I went in and gathered eggs and fed them. I came back out and it looked like a hen had just gotten out from under the turkey. So my question is. Will a Tom turkey fertilize a chicken and if so would it be a able to be hatched? What concerns should I have? Eggs too large for chicken to lay?

I have 1 Tom turkey and no females. I do have 28 chickens, 23 hens and 3 roosters. I went out today and my turkey was acting odd. All hunched down and shaking. He did come or gobble like usual when I go out. I went in and gathered eggs and fed them. I came back out and it looked like a hen had just gotten out from under the turkey. So my question is. Will a Tom turkey fertilize a chicken and if so would it be a able to be hatched? What concerns should I have? Eggs too large for chicken to lay?

If a tom turkey attempts to breed a chicken hen, it will most likely end badly (flat chicken). It is highly unlikely that the tom would be able to fertilize a chicken (physical incompatibility). Even if you used artificial insemination to fertilize the chicken hen using turkey semen, it is extremely unlikely that the egg would hatch.

The concern that you should have is to separate the tom from the chickens before you start finding dead chickens.

Thank you so much. Not sure what you mean by flat chicken. I'm not wanting them to breed. I just noticed the odd behavior and wanted to know what to worry about. Will the Tom get aggressive toward the chickens? They were raised together and haven't had any issue to date.

Flat = flatten, squished.
Think of a Hummer running over a Mini Cooper.
lau.gif

That is the correct interpretation.

Found my turkey nest today. We only have a hen but there are wild turkeys that run through our property from time to time. I decided to get a closer look because I saw a baby under her. We also have a turken rooster. And to my surprise this is what I saw...
20200810_182741.jpg
20200810_182758.jpg
20200810_182733.jpg

Either the turkey hatched a chicken egg or else you stuck a turken chick under her.
Well it wasn't me! She has 11 remaining eggs so time will tell.. my chickens don't forage in this location. But a chicken egg is likely? However there are no more under her so we will see. I will update in a few days. But I appreciate the accusation! :rolleyes:

Well it wasn't me! She has 11 remaining eggs so time will tell.. my chickens don't forage in this location. But a chicken egg is likely? However there are no more under her so we will see. I will update in a few days. But I appreciate the accusation! :rolleyes:
I guarantee you that if you have the chick DNA tested that it will be 100% chicken.

Back
Top Bottom