Will underground fence keep in a LGD?

Quote:
Probably not

And why would you need a guardian dog if your place isn't even fenced?

LGD's should be contained with the animals they are there to protect

The property is fenced. We have 4 strand electric right now, with 2 sides also having barbed wire, and we are going to put up field fence between the current electric fence and the road. So our property will have the electric fence for the livestock and a perimeter fence around the whole property. The dogs are currently contained with the underground fence, so basically the lgd with have 3 fences containing it. I just wanted to know if the underground fence would keep the dog in because I really do not want it to get on the highway.

I may just have to get a non-lgd breed guard dog that will work for the property and just hope it will help with the coyote problem.

Hot wire will contain most Pyrenees, they learn quick to respect it. So the pasture should keep one with your animals.the perimeter fence is a great idea and sounds like you should have enough fencing to contain. If you get a male get him neutered so you eliminate the sniffing the air and urge to wonder because of females in heat

My pyr comes from working lines but is a pet. I am sure an underground fence would not work on her. Punishment does not phase her in the slightest. She has been the hardest to train of my dogs, very "independent" and not interested in following commands unless she decides its worth her time. At least that's what I like to think. Could be the lights are on but no one's home.
roll.png

She has been the hardest to train of my dogs, very "independent" and not interested in following commands unless she decides its worth her time. At least that's what I like to think. Could be the lights are on but no one's home

That's typical LGD behavior and exactly why they don't make good pets​

I have two Pyrs and am putting in an underground fence. Hot wire on top of a regular fence works well to stop them from climbing out. Yes the invisable fence does take a bit of training but when you get it to work it is the best solutiion for many applications. My neighbor has one for his coon hound mix, and it works well for him. If it works on a hound it should work on anything.

Last edited:
If it works on a hound it should work on anything.

Hounds don't have the thick heavy coats like most LGD's.

It seems pointless to try and "guard" something if your fence won't help keep anything out

Quote:
Hounds don't have the thick heavy coats like most LGD's.

It seems pointless to try and "guard" something if your fence won't help keep anything out

Agreed. The thick coat is going to render the collar insufficient. While it may work some of the time, I would like to hear from more Pyr owners on their success rate with the underground fence in an established working dog situation. All the Maremma Sheepdog owners I know would not trust it at all. Pyrs like most LGDs are independent minded and will do what they choose to do. At a full speed run, those Pyrs will get through without stopping, but then know enough not to come back. I would not compare a hound to an LGD in any way. All the effort and expense I put into putting up a proper fence is worth the added peace of mind.

It seems that Duker17 has other fences that will help.

Quote:
Good luck with that. Hound mixes and doxies might respect an invisible fence, but the fur on a GP would ave to be cut and maintained to give a chance at it working. Not to mention GP's are ment to work independently, think on theirbfeet, problem solve, and protect your live stock. These traits don't mix well with an invisible fence.

I would check local laws, just because local stores sell them doesn't make invisible fences legal. They are not considered adequate in restraining a dog here. If you have one you can still be fined for a dog at large.

I have a Great Pyr I got her at 8 mos old. I had her contained with a goat to keep her company while she watches over the chickens....very good with them too by the way unless they are trying to eat her food she chases them off. She kept getting out of the fencing she climbed a 7ft fence....we only have a little over 2.5 acres wish we had more for her....now we have her on a huge runner....everything went well ( DH was getting quite upset about her escaping abilities) for awhile. I usually leave the house before the sun is up so DH gets the morning chores. Well, he found the dog broke off of the runner but was still lying next to the barn and a dead possum not far from her....so DH says the dogs earned her keep she's not going anywhere.....(not that i planned on her going anywhere she was well bonded with me).......so I have learned she stays where we want her too unless she needs to go after something and well we just leave it at that.....she knows where her home is....

Back
Top Bottom