Will winter delay my FIRST EGG????

nomoq

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 30, 2011
Elk Grove CA
I am starting to think I will never get eggs!!
sad.png

My girls are six months old. (Well...I brought them home five & a half months ago). I have yet to get an egg. Now that winter is on its way, (its still 70 degrees here in CA
big_smile.png
) I am wondering if that will delay egg production further.
Is it odd that I dont have eggs yet?
I have 2 Americanas, 2 Road Island Reds, and 2 Black Brahma.

Any help/thoughts is appreciated!!

Jim

Winter in California is a joke compared to here they should start laying since it don't get below zero degrees there I don't think.
smile.png

I think they'll lay pretty close to on time. I have a batch that will be 24 weeks just before Christmas and I'm expecting them a little late, but since its still 'Fall' here I think yours'll start to lay pretty soon!

Quote:
I would say yea, some hens lay later then others. are you sure their not laying already but hiding them?
smile.png

I would guess that they will begin laying soon. Usually they will lay through the winter their first laying season. I know the wait is hard, but they are within the "normal" range.
smile.png

I Just realized you're in Elk Grove. I really dont think winter will affect you very much at all! The days getting shorter yes, might be an issue next year because they wont be pullets anymore, but as far as temps.. I live in the mountains and we get snow and it freezes a lot in early winter!

Laying does not have much to do with the temps but a lot to do with light. Spring and early summer chicks mature slowly( like they are suppose to). They will take up to a month longer to lay than normal. The up side of this is the hens will have less laying problems because of the slower more mature body at time of lay.
I have Br, NH, Ameracuana, Del, and an olive egger. They are about 25 weeks old. The Del and olive egger are laying but none of the others. I also have pure breed orps. All take longer. Patience is def. necessary. When their bodies are ready they will lay.
old.gif
Gloria Jean

Edited to add they sometimes will be over 30 weeks. Some will even wait until the end of Jan when the days are noticeable longer.

Last edited:
Personally I don't think it will. Your so lucky to have that warm of a winter it is in the 40's here in NC and my girls are still laying. Haha

My girls are 5-6 months old and some of them still aren't laying...and some have just started. As long as they are getting enough protien and have enough light...they'll start!! We did several "egg hunts" because we were sure our girls were hiding eggs somewhere...however...we never found any! When they were ready, they started laying right where we wanted them to!!!! The waiting is so hard...

Back
Top Bottom