1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Will you give me some ideas for securing the feeder and waterer?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by PunkinPeep, Apr 22, 2009.

1. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    I have six week-old pullets - six of them. I use the little metal slider feeder with the head holes in it and a plastic waterer where you fill the canister and it screws upside-down onto the dish. You know what i'm talking about, right?

Well, i need some ideas for keeping my girls from knocking them over. It started when i put them up on a couple of 2x4s. I guess they get so excited that they end up knocking everything down. So i thought that maybe the 2x4s were just too narrow, so i put the feeder and waterer back on the ground until i can find something better to prop things up on, and the next time i went out there, everything was knocked down again.

Would love to get some ideas on what to do. I tried to do a search, but i didn't really come up with anything.

I'm a newbie, so no bit of information is too elementary for me. [​IMG]

Thanks,

Beth

2. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    I feel your pain... we've all been there. I put the same feeder up on two 4x4s with them just slightly apart so the feeder kinda sits in between them. It has worked Ok, I am always happy when they go out to the coop and I can use the hanging waterer and feeder.

Here's what I do for my chick waterer:

[​IMG]

My husband used old boards to put it together and then I set it up on 4x4s. It has worked very well to keep 'stuff' out of the water.

3. PunkinPeep

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    ooh, that's cool. i like those ideas. i think i even have some of that screen-like material you have under the waterer. i might try that. thank you!

anybody else have some more tips?

4. BigSkyChickens

BigSkyChickens Free Bird

Apr 3, 2009
    Pleasant Hill, CA
    We secured our feeder to a 2x4 with a zip tie, and put shims underneath (perpendicular to the 2x4) to keep it from tipping over. Enjoy your chickens.

5. cgmccary

cgmccary Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    NE Alabama
    Hello Beth:

This may sound kind of stupid but I duct tape mine down on the 2 X 4s. It works for a little while longer. It has just enough stick to keep them down for now. I change out the duct tape when I clean them. I graduate to a larger waterer as they grow. They are soon able to knock over the one gallon plastic waterers so I move to the 3 gallon one-- It never gets knocked over. I eventually move to larger, taller feeders as well. As they grow up, I give 'em bigger feeders & waterers.

Chicks I have with mother hens simply will destroy and turn over a "chick feeder" in minutes scratching and all. I have to duct tape it on a 2X4 and then slide a 2X4 in front and in back of the one holding the feeder-- this prevents the hen from turning it over (so three 2X4s with the middle one with the long chick feeder duct tape down). I sit the water up high so the hen won't soil it and just put brick steps or wood blocks so the chicks step up to take a drink. It works.

6. chicks4kids

chicks4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    I'm a newbie chicken owner myself, but personally, I have hungs my feeders and waterers. That may work for you...they can't spill them, only just bump 'em a little.

7. Big C

Big C J & C Farms

Dec 15, 2008
    Vernon Texas
  8. PunkinPeep

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    Oh wow! Thanks so much for all your ideas! Duct tape is so simple (and reportedly essential for a real Texan), but it never occurred to me. [​IMG]

All these ideas have given me lots of ideas for solutions for my girls.

Again, thanks a million.

Beth

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by