Willow the Great Pyrenees

Pics
Any tips along how to make my goats not want to impale her? 😅 any time I bring her to them as soon as she starts to sniff them they go at her with the horns.

They have to get accustomed to her, she has to become part of the herd. It takes time, and consistent exposure. It's usually recommended that you wait to introduce into the herd until they are pretty much full sized, they will be calmer and more able to avoid or defend themselves from the goats. They also do better if they are not in the crazy puppy stage, that tends to look like predator behavior to prey animals, she may want to play, they won't see it that way. You should walk her around the outside of the pasture/pen where the goats are every day, and let them see each other through the fence. Some recommend that as pups you put them, supervised, in a smaller pen with a few known gentle females or kids, so she can begin to bond. Make sure the pup has a way to get away from the goats, and always, always, supervise. Every dog is different, so make no assumptions on how things may go, be very watchful of behavior. Praise, praise, praise good behavior. Temperament, personality, maturity rates, all vary greatly dog to dog.
https://hiddenheightsfarms.com/introduce-lgd-to-goats/

They have to get accustomed to her, she has to become part of the herd. It takes time, and consistent exposure. It's usually recommended that you wait to introduce into the herd until they are pretty much full sized, they will be calmer and more able to avoid or defend themselves from the goats. They also do better if they are not in the crazy puppy stage, that tends to look like predator behavior to prey animals, she may want to play, they won't see it that way. You should walk her around the outside of the pasture/pen where the goats are every day, and let them see each other through the fence. Some recommend that as pups you put them, supervised, in a smaller pen with a few known gentle females or kids, so she can begin to bond. Make sure the pup has a way to get away from the goats, and always, always, supervise. Every dog is different, so make no assumptions on how things may go, be very watchful of behavior. Praise, praise, praise good behavior. Temperament, personality, maturity rates, all vary greatly dog to dog.
https://hiddenheightsfarms.com/introduce-lgd-to-goats/
Thank you! I only have the 2 does, which...aren't the gentlest but aren't especially mean. I've been putting her on a leash and taking her in but it does sound logical to wait till she's older and calmer though so I'll continue on the leash till she's older.

Poor willow, on the 17th we gave her dewormer and she's had diarrhea since. We stared her on a rice and boiled chicken diet with some plain yogurt and cottage cheese. We also started an anti diarrhea medicine today. She's acting fine though, energetic as ever😅 I gave her a bath today too, and October 4th is our 4-H evaluation for dog club! I bought her a martingale collar to help training too. She's doing really good besides the diarrhea.

Poor willow, on the 17th we gave her dewormer and she's had diarrhea since. We stared her on a rice and boiled chicken diet with some plain yogurt and cottage cheese. We also started an anti diarrhea medicine today. She's acting fine though, energetic as ever😅 I gave her a bath today too, and October 4th is our 4-H evaluation for dog club! I bought her a martingale collar to help training too. She's doing really good besides the diarrhea.
Poor willow. I think something’s going around as both of mine had it for about a week with no dewormer or anything they are doing better now. Tell willow I said she is cute!

Poor Willow. Watch the cottage cheese and yogurt it makes mines diarrhea worse. She probably had worms though.
Good luck with the 4-H evaluation!

Back
Top Bottom