Sponsored Post Win an Ecoglow 20 Chick Brooder from Brinsea with your best tip for winter!

I put rocks under my heat lamp, as they retain heat. It may sound crazy, but it works. They love to sit next to the rocks together. I also use a heat lamp to keep the rocks warm.

Last edited:
Winter temperatures here tend to fluctuate and can run from below zero to in the sixties. To stabilize temperatures in the coop over winter, we have installed insulation and vents that can be adjusted as needed. We use the deep litter method, and this produces some warmth. To keep the level of ammonia from rising, we always keep several vents open. On very cold days, curtains may be pulled in front of vents to ward off drafts without losing circulation. When outdoor temperatures warm, additional vents are opened to allow cooler air to circulate in the coop. No artificial means of heating are ever used or needed, and the chickens go outside every day.

Saranac Lake is often the "cold spot of the nation" so we planned for below zero temps and gusting winds from the beginning...6" of foam board insulation!! And the heat lamp is on a thermostat. The coop is insulated better than our house! Our girls are a little spoiled.

We put in windows this spring that when closed will block the cold air but let in the heat from the sun. So for winter we screw the windows shut to make sure they don't let in the cold air. We have plenty of other ventilation closer to the roof.

Winter: the local enemy,

This winter, i want my chickens to stay warm, even though they can stay warm with their lovely feathers, on the windows, i have added a brilliant insulatng wall. but still, for good ventilation, i have left half of the window for fresh air to prevent any problems. Also, i will be splitting the run into two halves: one for the chicks and one for the adults. i will be adding a heat bulb to the chicks house, making sure it is fitted properly with its clip-on to prevent fires. But i won't give the adult chicken any extra heat as their egg production could be affected. But i will give them warm water for both chicks and chickens, which i will replace a few times a day. Also their combs and wattles will be provided with petroleum jelly. I will also make sure the snow will be away from the run, without the use of artificial product (grit .etc)

We've got 2 lamps on a timer and a small quartz heater to keep it nice and cozy, and just ordered some corrugated clear sheets to put on the west side of the run so they can go outside but be out of the darn wind! (it always seems to be windy here). Its also insulated, has a few windows for light and air movement. Im thinking all they need is some mozart playing in there!

Our coop is a 10'x10' chain link kennel located inside a 80'x60' pasture/lot. The coop has a tin roof with a tarp that covers the back and about one third of the adjacent sides, but doesn't reach the ground. The rest of the coop is open. The roost area is above the bottom of the tarp. The chickens are allowed to access to the pasture/lot area daily. We find that this set up works well in all seasons so preparing for winter isn't something we have to do. We have had no issues with combs getting frost bite. With this set up we still get eggs even on the coldest days where the temperature is below freezing. If anything special is done for winter prep, it would be cleaning out the bedding. The bedding can then build up and begin to generate some heat as the manure in the bedding decomposes.

I have a pretty leak free coop my dh is a roofer so everything gets sealed really good no worries there. I use extra straw. The main extra i do is shovel most of the snow in there run up around their coop. Snow is a good insulator and they have a big snow free area to get out in.

Last edited:
In Central Florida, winter preparation means putting a cover up over your bathing suit usually. I'm writing in praise of the Ecoglow. I have 36 chicks under 2 Ecoglow 20's currently. Nights are as cold as 68 and days as hot as 90 currently. We use sand in brooders, coop and run and it has worked out great for clean up. I have added fresh hay over the sand for extra warmth only under the 2 Ecoglows each night and removed soiled hay each time. Now if I can just get one more Ecoglow my chicken fever will be able to expand again!

Last edited:
Last year I installed a medium sized doggie door for my chickens to enter into their coop. It took several days for them to get used to the plastic flap on the door when they come and go but they love it now. This flap keep the cold breezes from getting into their nesting area. This works fantastic and my girls stay warm during the cold nights of winter.

Back
Top Bottom