Sponsored Post Win an Ecoglow 20 Chick Brooder from Brinsea with your best tip for winter!

Our winters are not as fierce as some of yours. But here in the High Desert, we do get snow and it gets quite cold. This year, I am moving a couple of hens up to the (fallow) garden with a snug little hen house. I think they will have a blast and help prep the garden for spring. The garden is in a spot that is protected from the wind, so they should be warmer than usual as well. It's also a way for these hens (who no longer lay) to contribute.

Here in East Texas it rarely gets to freezing so I will lay down an extra layer of pine shavings and straw so their pen stays dry. The straw also keeps their little feet warmer. Yhey will get xtra protein to help them stay warm. The coop is a pole barn closed to the north, east and west and 1/2 of the south side so they have plenty of protection from the cold winds. All the coops will have extra bedding. The bantty have a closed in coop with plenty of ventalation I cover their windows with that corrigated plastic cut to fit each window and screwed on till spring.

This isn't so much about protecting from the cold of winter as it is about keeping egg production going, but I use solar powered garden lights on my outdoor pens to keep them lit for a while each evening. Depending on the design of the pen, I can use stake lights or rope lights with a cord to an outside solar panel. Its a cheap way to get light, no need for a timer as they usually only run for a few hours based on a day long charge and no need for extension cords (although the rope lights do have a cord to the panel).

Hay is not just for horses. It is also a very helpful tool to keep your flock warm in the winter! Shavings are inexpensive but one bale of straw is the same price and lasts much longer. It is also much warmer and gives the coop that barn smell! As soon as it starts to get cold outside, I replace all of the shavings with a thick layer of straw. If the coop is big enough you can also place bales of straw along the inside walls of the coop to insulate it.

We bag up all the leaves in our yard(fall is here) and place those bags around the outside of the coop for extra insulation. The Chickens stay warm and toasty and we find a good use for all those leaves!

Our chicken coop has flaps that we close in the winter. That way if we have an unseasonably warm period, they can easily be opened.

What most people want to do when winter is fast approaching is block up ventilation. Chickens actually need just as much, if not more ventilation. Chickens can withstand a "dry" cold. But, a wet cold is when birds start getting sick and die. If the ventilation is blocked up, then the wetness from the chicken waste and waterer etc will stay in the coop. The roosting area needs to be draft free, though. Good luck on your winter experience!

Living in Northern WI I raised my coop up off the ground to give them access to dirt year round. I also shovel out the coop after every snowfall and make pathways to my horse shelters. This way they can also dust themselves in the stalls. Also I have south facing windows that help heat the coop naturally, my chickens also have insulated waters.

Back
Top Bottom