Sponsored Post Win an Ecoglow 20 Chick Brooder from Brinsea with your best tip for winter!

During the winter, I go out every morning and fill my chicken's waters with warm water and red pepper flakes. This prevents the water from freezing during and the red pepper flakes gives the chickens a warm and cozy feeling.

Living in NW Florida the winters are not to bad. But I make sure to lock them up snug at night and give them a treat so they have something in their crop to help them have the energy to keep warm. I also park the tractor in the sun and have a tarp to cover it with for those bad days. :)

I cover half my run with clear corrugated roofing so they have a place to come outside but stay dry. I also add a lot of hay or straw inside the coop for insulation. I do more special treats in winter too like earth worms or meal worms.

I live in MN, and our winters get COLD! I use 4 mil plastic to cover the outdoor run (cutting slits every few feet to allow some ventilation). This way the chickens get an excellent windbreak and can still enjoy sun bathing during the winter months. It also keeps out most of the snow, so I have one less area to shovel.

It is cheap and super easy to remove when spring returns.

Winter weather in Atlanta is quite comfortable for my girls. I usually just have to ensure that I close the coop door, so that there is not a draft, but other than that the coop is well ventilated and does not require any additional precaution. I do have to say, though, with all the untimely molting and the blah looking landscape, it is nice to spruce up the girls with colorful sweaters. Maybe this year I'll abandon the Christmas theme and have a three month long hula!

Our chicken coop has good ventilation but it is closed up so there is not a draft in our coop. We use a red bulb all year. Spring summer we use a red colored light bulb and we put a red heat bulb for winter and it stays warm. My Millies love it. However my chickens do stop laying in the winter as much so I know its not to warm that they can't have a break. We use shavings in there coop and clean it pretty often. Using heated water bowl is great idea. But I just go out there about 3 times a day and break up the ice and pour warm water into it to melt it back down. We don't get much snow, but I do shovel walk ways for them and have lots of covered areas for them. We put down pallets sometimes with straw on it also. Every winters different. Will see what we will have to do this winter. :)

I have 2 huge openings on both side of coop for a breeze during the warmer months, I place plastic over them and then stuff the walls (made from pallets) with straw for added protection. Then the run gets wrapped on 2 sides with a tarp for more wind protection. I don't use a heat lamp for fear of a power outage and losing my flock.

This will be my first winter with chickens. Their coop is insulated and they currently have a heat lamp bulb going that keeps it fairly warm inside. I am also using the deep litter method to provide some additional warmth. Once it gets really chilly I have a blower and vent in the wall that will blow warm air from the garage into the coop (also helps with ventilation). I have bagged up all the leaves from the yard to use in their run during the winter so it's not all snowy and will get a bale or 2 of hay to spread if the leaves don't last. I'm toying with the idea of enclosing the run in plastic to keep the snow out. As far as water, I'm hoping the blower and heat lamp will keep the coop temp above freezing. I live in Alaska so wish me luck!!

Plan on using deep litter method to help keep their feet warm and using a heat light on a timer for the coldest nights, everyone is going in one coop for the "warmth in numbers" and Make sure you have WOOD roosts and not metal ;)

Well for my chickens, i built a new coop out of a old kids pay house, i put the coop inside my dog run that they have lived in for 2 years now. On top of the dog run i have a large PVC pipe running across the top along with chicken wire as well so coons cant get in. with 2 plank boards slanted at diagonal position, with a tarp covering the top to keep the snow and rain out.. And around the out side of the dog run that is not up against my back fence. i put up tarps to help block the cold winds and snow as well but it doesn't block everything.. but it does do a good job and i just have the door UN-covered.. with there new coop i have put in some hooks so i can place some Red and Purple 60 Wat heat lamps in for the evening so it keeps them warm but not up all night.. and i lay the ground and coop with Dry Straw to help them keep the heat in. it doesn't always snow here but it does get very very cold here in the winters. my chickens don't mind the snow at all they actually enjoy digging threw it.. And during the winter season since they aren't able to forage for bugs i raise Cock Roaches and i give them a nice amount of roaches 1-2 times a week.. My coop isn't the best but for me it works out they are well protected and i always make sure there warm.. if i notice they are getting a bit of frost bite ever i will move them in to my garage as i have a few rabbit huts i put them in only on the really really cold nights :D " Mind this is my chickens home area before i built the new coop this past summer.. so it shows all there old homes they lived in.. i had 2 dog houses and a smaller coop.. now they have the large Child play house coop and smaller coop

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom