Sponsored Post Win an Ecoglow 20 Chick Brooder from Brinsea with your best tip for winter!

To prepare for winter we have our coop fully insulated and we have extra cracked corn to keep up their body heat up.

I use screws and washers to put clear shower curtains up around our run, combined with the roof this keeps the snow out but let's the sunshine in and holds in a bit of heat.

I am learning and my birds are 19 weeks. winter preperations include venting, draft reduction, and deep litter. I increased the treats like black oil sunflower seeds as it got colder I also have a temperature sensitive waterer to keep it from freezing. In the run I have a covered area for compost collecting. My creative parts comes from feeder made from PVC from dump, windows from refuse/reuse piles. Everyone should try to reuse and repurpose what they can.
Ak rain

Before it snows we rake and stir all of the dirt in the pens. This way our hens have some dirt to play in and our chicken that has trouble seeing doesn't hurt himself walking though the snow. Plus when you are going through the pens you wont brake you foot on a frozen unmovable branch or rock in the snow
celebrate.gif

Personally, I, umm, plant winter grass and umm, let me think... Was there a minimum word requirement?

Yeah, my flock absolutely thrived in our low desert winter and egg production was phenominal. Last year we only had three hens laying, but this year we should have eleven. I've stocked up on egg cartons and am ready to begin after their current moult ends.

I make several adjustments for the winter that have already been mentioned by others. However, I think the most important tip for winterizing chickens is to leave them alone in the cold. No heaters to warm the coop.
I am all for heated water, but as long as you only raise chickens that are suitable for your area, they are fine in the cold. If you get them used to a heated coop, they can die should a storm knock the power out. Even a generator lasts for only so long. Last year I didn't lose a single chicken, even at below zero outside temperatures. Remember! Chickens generate heat, and with a closed coop, the windchill is not a factor.

Last year when I got my family new chicks, I was very worried about how cold the temperature usually gets in my area. To prepare for the winter, I got an extension cord and covered it in plastic wrap. Then, I got four bricks and set them up so they held up my waterer but that there was a lot of space under it. With the extension cord, I plugged one of my old brooder heat lamps and placed it under the waterer to keep the water from freezing, hope this helps!

This summer we made a shed into a chicken coop and insulated it. It has it own heater and power so my girls will be at a toasty 70 degrees in the snow!

Back
Top Bottom