Sponsored Post Win an Ecoglow 20 Chick Brooder from Brinsea with your best tip for winter!

Preparing for winter was a concern from the onset of setting up my back yard coop design. I simply placed the entire coop on a trailer so I can move it to any desired location, be it in between buildings to reduce wind chill, or into a shed in extreme conditions. Then be able to relocate it back after the threat has passed. This also has proven handy when going on vacation, just hook up to the coop and drop it off at the neighbors who will care for the chickens while away.

This is our first winter having chickens. We are stilllearning alot. We will be putting up a wind block outside our chicken door to keep the wind from blowing into the coop. The door faces west. Also we will be using a heated water to keep the water from freezing. My son buys chicks in February for 4-H and will be keeping them in basement till about 6 weeks old.

This is our first winter with chickens as well. Being in the south I'm not too worried about snow, just the occasional ice storm. Our coop and enclosed run can move on wheels so we'll probably reorient it to get them some good southern exposure. We'll need to close up some of the vents at the top of the coop and move the roosting bar down a bit. I'm excited to give them warm oatmeal. We also do deep litter in the coop so I imagine that they'll get some warmth from that as well.

In Texas our weather changes so quickly you never know what your winter will bring. We cover our windows in coop with outdoor table cloth fabric and use self stick Velcro to be able to put up and take off quickly and is water proof. The vents at very top stay open. Also have a heat lamp in coop as well. If we do end up with a little snow we have tarps to cover run with as well

Winter here is serious business. The ground freezes. The biddies are unable to do their dustbathing.

My solution: I got them a covered sandbox free off FreeCycle. I filled it with sand and ashes from the pellet stove. After every storm I shovel out to it (it is marked by a tall reflector so I can find it) and open it up and they enjoy dustbathing in it. It keeps them happy and creepy-crawlie free in the winter.

Here in Utah, we have warm summers, and cold winters..got into the minus degree last year.
I have ventilation in the top of the coop..both sides. I use straw in the winter, not in the summer. It's probably been mentioned, but using a lot of straw in the winter really helps keep them warmer. I use it in the coop, and outside in the run. No free ranging here in the snow covered area in the winter.
I like to use vaseline on their combs to keep those combs frostbitten free. Even with ventilation, someone seems to get frost bite when it gets real cold if I don't.
I use a heated water dish.
I feed them corn scratch for treats in the winter..plus, a nice can of corn every now and again. Corn is a great warmer upper.
smile.png
They have an excellent protein enriched regular feed.
I have tarps covering an area for them to have free of snow.
The coop is raised up, so they can go under there too.

I use a heat lamp inside the coop once it gets below freezing. Can't see that from here. I have a small end run for younger chickens..it has a heat lamp as you can see. The ventilation is at the top of the coop, where the roof comes to a peak, on each side..always need to clear them after a big snow storm.

my hens and roos prefer to be pecking around outside no matter what the weather! so in that case,I put a big garden umbrella next to the hen house so that when ever they want to have a trot around outside, there is shelter and a nice not to cold, not too hot, but just right warm bowl if porridge waiting for them under it!

Where I live the winters are short and mild, but there is lots of rain and a couple of snowfalls. There is no insulation in their coop, but it is dry and well-ventilated. We have a greenhouse beside the chicken run, and by the end of autumn I set up a make-shift fence connecting the door to their run with the door to the greenhouse. For the whole winter, the chickens can get into the greenhouse during the day where they enjoy the extra warmth and shelter. In addition, they get to eat all the slugs and bugs that accumulated over the summer growing season and any leftover veggies. In return they turnover and fertilize the soil for us making the next growing season even better! Win-win!

My 5 girls will be giving up their 1600 square foot electric poultry net run for the winter, so they will get plenty of fresh raised fodder, sod squares, and have an extra green house space added onto their 2 level hoop coop. The addition will provide them with 8' x 12' open area with 4 mil. poly to give them plenty of heat and sunshine.

Back
Top Bottom