Sponsored Post Win an Ecoglow 20 Chick Brooder from Brinsea with your best tip for winter!

Our chicken coop has open wire mesh around three sides of the bottom. We use clear and green roof panels around the bottom of the coop to block the wind and it also lets the light and warmth from the sun in during the day. We put this up when the temps start getting too chilly for the girls and take it back down in the spring when it starts to warm up!

i cover all insulation points in coop with styrofoam to reduce the cold temperature in the coop and keep in the warmth from the heat lamp i have in the coop. be sure to cover styrofoam with something that cant be pecked through so the birds don't break it or eat it.

My chickens have a huge coop in my barn. They have a door in the side of the barn to go out to their run and a big door that opens into the barn and they can go out the barn door. This is my first year having chickens so I'm still learning and can hopefully add to the flock next spring. I have two that may need Vaseline on their combs, unless I find something better to use, maybe coconut oil. I will be using the deep litter method in the coop with grass clippings I've been collecting all summer and will put some in their run too. I have a light on a timer that I can set if they need any extra heat but it's mostly for a little extra light (and to help see to get on the roost to go to bed at night).
wink.png
They'll get hot oatmeal or anything else I can heat up for them in the mornings or before bed when it's really cold. If the barn gets too drafty I'll put up clear plastic so they can still have sun come through for warmth and natural light. I might try the turmeric in their food too.

I have a insulated coop, plenty of ventilation and a cookie tin water heater, a light on a timer for egg production and to add a little heat . My biggest problem last winter was boredom. My chickens refused to go outside after the first snow so this year I am making a hoop coop play house that will be attached to the coop and covered in plastic.I have a raised coop so I will put plastic around the bottom of the coop and it will be an extra area for them to play in, this will be joined all together and accessible thru the pop door. I have rake all my leaves and pine needles and put that under coop and in hoop coop so they can scratch around in them during the long winter months. I will also put flock blocks and hang suet feeders with different types of snacks with extra protein in them. Keeping my fingers crossed this will keep them from becoming bored and the problems that come with boredom.

We have an open air steel frame barn that is divided into several stalls. One of the stalls have been converted to a coop which is surrounded by chicken wire with the outer wall covered with plywood. I will hang a solar lamp from the ceiling that will help keep the biddies warm and add additional hay in an old converted dog house to provide cover.

here in Alaska ,,,,winter is on its way .my chicken yard has a roof with a yard light .for the short days and my chicken house well insulated and has a heat lamp ......during the blowing snow I tarp the sides of my chicken yard to keep it clear. of snow .....lots of saw dust on the floor and in the nest boxes ....my water bowl also get plugged in so fresh water is always available .they are happy all winter ....looking forward to fresh eggs this winter ,,,

Last edited:
Winter in my area is fairly mild. We do not get snow and it rarely gets below freezing however I want to give my chickens the best options I can. What I have done is gone to using straw inside the coop and nesting boxes. I also constructed a this floor under the main floor where I place large reptile seating pads which acts king of like radiant floor heaters. The heat raises from the floor to the roof. For those days and nights or the extended chilly days I also added a heat lamp with a heating element that does not emit light so I can offer the added heat without the light to avoid interrupting their sleep pattern.
I should state that I only have 4 hens. I would have a great deal more if I were allowed by local laws.

we feed them cracked corn before bed, it gives them something to digest at night which keeps them warmer!

We give the girls plenty of fodder. To them other than being cold they still get the grass that they love

Back
Top Bottom