Sponsored Post Win an Ecoglow 20 Chick Brooder from Brinsea with your best tip for winter!

To keep my chickens warm i recycle the feed bags or the soil bags I use all year long and wrap up the open parts of the coop or run that is vulnerable to wind so they can stay toasty. Plus the bags are water proof! it'll help keep your cage warm and dry all winter long without having to spend any extra money or do any hard work! Simple and very effective!

To keep my chickens warm i recycle the feed bags or the soil bags I use all year long and wrap up the open parts of the coop or run that is vulnerable to wind so they can stay toasty. Plus the bags are water proof! it'll help keep your cage warm and dry all winter long without having to spend any extra money or do any hard work! Simple and very effective!

That's a good idea! I wish I woulda thought of saving feed bags for that

For those of us who do not have electricity in the coop, I use a hollow concrete fence block (4x8x8). There is just enough room to put 3-4 reusable hand warmers inside. It warms the block - stays hot for about an hour and a half then slowly cools off (stays warmer than the air for about 7 hours). No acclimation problems because it is back to outside temp by the morning when the sun comes back out. Perfect for our mild winter.

For me, getting my girls ready for winter is all about their bellies! Since September we have been very busy putting fresh vegies in the freezer, stocking up on seeds such as sunflower and pumpkin seeds, and anything else we can dry or freeze to keep our chix happy and healthy till summer shines down on us once again. We have all our friends joining in on the madness and they are filling their freezer with extras also! In addition, we are building a chicken playground in our 50' covered run. Small saplings are being cut and arranged into fun roosts, new dusting baths are being built and filled with wood ash and fresh dirt, and snack areas are being installed. Right before old man winter slams us, the north side of the coop will be tarped to keep the run protected from the wind and snow. If it gets to bad, the tarp is big enough to enclose the entire run. Everyone gets wormed in October to keep them their strongest, and we complete a good deep litter method for warmth. Lastly, a light will go in to aid in our weekly feet/vent inspections. Nothing but the best for my girls who live in 'The Scratch Pad'!!!

Last edited:
I wrap three sides of my coop in plastic shower curtain type material, to block the wind. The reason I only wrap three is to keep some air flow so it doesn't get too humid and smelly. This seems to work well for me! And, my chickens stay nice and warm.

for the winter, we normally switch our waterers from plastic to metal, to stop it from freezing so easily. we also Use petroleum jelly (or olive oil, as a natural alternative) to fight frostbite by applying it to the affected areas, so the frostbite does not get too bad for them. even though the chickens may not like it, it does them a lot of good!!! we apply it when they are on the roost at night. during the winter we also use scratch, which consists of cracked corn and bread crumbs, giving the chickens a bit more fat so they can keep warm in the winter. Also, another smart thing to do in the winter is to collect the eggs as often as you can. jecause of the eggs holding mostly water, its easy for them to freeze, and guess who won't be getting eggs that day??? haha

thanks guys, and good luck to everyone!!!

~Bantambury

i would love to win the eco glow brooder we are in nh i insulated our first coop coop #2 i am going to do deep litter and put hay bales around and underneath it

Back
Top Bottom