Wind?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by newbyduckmom, Nov 11, 2011.

1. newbyduckmom

newbyduckmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2011
    Snohomish County, WA
    Forecast for today is for wind, rain, cold. Some 'high' winds possible (30 to 50 mph). Ducks want no part of going in the house. Worried duck mom thinks 30-40 winds and above would mean in the house time?

They have cover under the duck house (no access to that duck house in the outdoor pen without being put inside it). Trees, bushes, shrubs that they normally sleep under. The other duck house has a very small outdoor run (for six ducks) which they have access to all day, but it is so small.

[​IMG]

House with outdoor run - its about 6 ft by 4 ft.[​IMG]

Just got one good gust.....ducks are going in the smaller house so they have access to inside if needed......

Last edited: Nov 11, 2011
  2. The Red Rooster

The Red Rooster Poultry Observer

How many ducks do you have? Ducks are very good in cold weather. I think they will be fine in a enclosed area with straw/hay.

If you feel like putting them inside, then you can. Opinions on this question will vary.

Good luck with your duckies!

3. newbyduckmom

newbyduckmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2011
    Snohomish County, WA
    I have six. The wind was the concern - and the flying debris. Hasn't turned out to be as bad as expected. Thankfully.

4. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    I wouldn't be too concerned. I think they would (hopefully) realize and take shelter even under something. Though a few months back when a tornado was expected to touch down close by I did run out and wrangle everyone inside their runs. I am glad I did since the tornado passed about 1/2 mile away and we had a large, 10" diameter branch fall from a large tree in the back yard.
    Scariest moment of my life sitting in the hallway with my dogs. Give me a hurricane any day over that.

So, I take back what I said because I'm sure mine would have been sitting out in the yard if I hadn't put them up. [​IMG]

5. GrannyCarol

GrannyCarol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2011
    Washington
    I just locked mine up in the middle of a wind storm, they were very excited and didn't really want to go where I wanted them.

Right after the wind picked up, we got a call from a farmer saying that the straw we'd asked about was available right now, they were unloading the truck they'd gone to get it in... oh my. I grabbed my husband and some money and we got in the pickup and drove across our little town. We got ten bales of lovely fresh clean straw in the crazy wind and unloaded it into the covered area in the back of our run. Then I got to chase ducks around trying to get them into the pens I wanted them in! Silly ducks! They didn't like the straw in the back of their pen (its this year's hatchlings that were so silly), but I finally got them in, fed and watered. Whew!

Now there's just biscuits and gravy for dinner, I think... sounds good to me! I made some cookies today too - yum!

6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:Sounds yummy Granny can we all come over. [​IMG]

7. GrannyCarol

GrannyCarol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2011
    Washington
  8. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:Our low was 24* but it's into the 50's now and sunny. Beautiful day .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by