Window placement in new coop, help/advice needed please

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Madhen80, Apr 15, 2012.

1. Madhen80

Madhen80 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2012
    Northwest Ohio
    So, this is my very first post on this site! Very exciting. I am just getting into this chicken thing, and my husband is still building my coop. We have several sized windows we can use, but are not sure which sides to place them to allow for the most light and ventilation. We have been told to place our largest window on the south side to allow the most sun/warmth in for the winter. The sliding entry door is on the east side which will be open during nice days. It is 4' wide. The entire building is 8' x 12'. I am thinking from what I have read, that I will put one on the north side, and one on the east, and south. I will avoid the west since it is unprotected and very windy. Any thoughts/suggestions? Thanks in advanced.

2. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

What state or country you are in may be useful?

Last edited: Apr 15, 2012
  3. Madhen80

Mar 18, 2012
    Northwest Ohio
    I'm sorry, I thought it would say under my name/info. I am in northwest Ohio.

4. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

Yea, south facing windows would be best up there I would think.

I like having all the ventilation on one side. A high vent an a low vent will pull air threw the coop consistently. Vents on more than one wall causes blow threw drafts.

5. nick7764

nick7764 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2012
    Starkville, NY
    I was wondering this too... I'm doing the same thing with MY house this summer- that is, adding more windows to the south side to get more sun in the winter...

6. Madhen80

Mar 18, 2012
    Northwest Ohio
    Well, my husband did as he wanted anyways. I guess that's what I get for waiting until the last minute to decide on these things. He is putting a large window to the South. 2 smaller ones on the west (he insists), and then we have the sliding door on the east. Hopefully it won't be a wind tunnel. They all close and have screens in them, except the door of course. Thanks for the input.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by