Window Question

My coop is going in the shade of deciduous trees and I'm in TN. I put a window on the north and south, directly opposite each other. In the winter, this lets in the partial sun for warmth and in the summer, it's shaded. I can get a draft through the coop at roost level by leaving both windows open in hot weather I happened to have a pair of 24" square shed windows laying around so I'm using those.

I saw a number of nice windows available for very reasonable prices at the Habitat Restore. That's a great place to check if you have one near you!

OH, and you can make a window that opens like a flap by simply putting a plexiglass panel (available at places like Home Depot) on hinges with a basic little frame that covers the hole so it won't be drafty when it's closed. If my setup needs additional summer ventilation, I plan to add a couple of these panel windows since it's easy enough to do as an add-on. My husband is convinced two windows are plenty but I told him that I know where the Sawzall lives and I'm not afraid to use it if that coop is the least bit hotter than the surrounding air in summer!
wink.png

I have been given an ice shanty 5x8x7 tall, there is one walk in door and no windows. I plan on making a coop from this. I need to put windows in it and ventilation at the top. It's made from 2x2's, and particle board, and has a slooped roof with metal sheeting. I am going to attach a 6x10x6 tall dog kennel for the run. Everything will be facing south, how much ventilation should I put in, and what sized windows. Should I put a window in the door? I have time (I hope), i'm putting 24 eggs into the bator on sunday, and hope to have the coop ready for them when the weather gets warmer. I used the run for pheasants last year, and have chicken wire and hardware cloth 2ft up on the outside, and another foot aproned out from the bottom, the top of the run is also chainlink. The pheasants didn't use any housing just acouple of pallets teepeed together with some pine bows and christmas trees around it. they seemed to like is, they (two hens 1 rooster) spit out about 100 eggs this last spring,and I hatched 5 or 12, I gave all of them away to a friend and want to try chickens now. Thanks in advance for any help.

I really do appreciate the great advice! Thanks everyone, and if anyone has more advice on windows, keep it coming please.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom