windows for coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by meags163, Jun 15, 2009.

1. meags163

meags163 In the Brooder

Jun 9, 2009
    connecticut
    I am building a coop for 5 birds. I was planning on just framing out a piece of plexiglass for the window, and then have two screens for ventilation on opposite walls. Will this work or do I need to have a window that can open and close? I see a lot of coops with replacement windows but I'm trying to avoid that. Thanks!

2. Judy

Judy Crowing

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    No, you don't need a regular window that will open and close. You might want to hinge a piece of plywood or something so that you can close off the screened openings in storms. And you might want hardware cloth rather than regular window screen.

Have you read Pat's ventilation page?

https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=1642-VENTILATION

3. paulpig

paulpig Songster

Apr 4, 2009
    I did exactly what you are speaking of........The one side is a frame with clear plexi--when opened , I hook it up to the roof of the interior of the coop........real redneck style....the outside hole is covered with chicken wire......the inside happens to be inside of my horse barn--the chicken coop is an 11x21 lean too off the barn......So far it is working!!!! BOL paul

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: