windows in the coop necessary?

Stella1964

Songster
11 Years
Mar 30, 2008
Ontario Canada
I have recently revamped an old shed in my backyard to a coop, with two outdoor runs approximately 5ft high, 12 feet long, and 10 feet wide (for 4 chicks!).

My question is this...the shed (aka new super coop) does not have windows so the chicks are in the dark when they're in there. Is this a problem, in terms of comfort, development and psychology? My concern is that they will not know when it's time to "wake up" in the morning without daylight streaming in.

Appreciate the advice,
Stella

Personally, I would never have a hen house without a window. I'm actually going to have four in mine once we're done adding on to it. I believe the more natural light the better - all year round.

One thing that we found is that the more natural light you have the better chance of your hens laying through the winter months. We have tons of light in ours and my nine girls laid 3 - 6 eggs every day all winter. I think that's pretty good for not having any artificial light.

Now, you can always use artificial light (hang a light bulb in there to help with production), but I feel that my girls deserve a 'rest' through the winter. However, many people do use light bulbs to help stimulate laying in the darker months. It's a personal decision.

Quote:
Gets hot here too (southern Ontario) but not like Texas!
fl.gif

I'll have to see about getting a window in, maybe just an east-facing one. I'm concerned that I will ruin the integrity of the roof/walls of the shed. I'm not very good at this handy person stuff.

th.gif

I didn't even think about the heat factor but hlydens is spot on regarding the heat issue. If you ever have hot days you need to have some sort of good ventilation through your coop. Having windows on opposing sides or on the east and south side that can be opened to allow for air flow can be critical. Chickens do not do well in heat.

Do you have any type of local building store (Home Depot, Lowe's, Hardware stores) in your area? You should be able to go into one of them and have them show you how to add a header to your cut out for a window (or two) so that you can put in windows.

Good luck.

When I made my first henhouse it was an old shed that I revamped. I cut windows out of the walls with a jigsaw, framed in the openings (both inside and outside) with 1x3s and put hardware cloth covering the openings. I then took the cut out pieces of wood and hinged them back on the henhouse as shutters over the windows. I got a cute little, well-ventilated henhouse that I could close the shutters on during bad weather. Just an idea for you.

For natural lighting and such I think windows are necessary...also for ventilation...covered with hardwire cloth they make perfect ventilation areas.

I keep my rabbits and chickens in the same building, just separated by a chicken wire wall. I keep a fluorescent light out all year round on a timer. (for the rabbits and well as the chickens) 1 window facing east and the front door facing east that stands open on warm days for ventilation on the west side of the building is the coop opening for the chickens to come and go as they please from the run.

Quote:
Gets hot here too (southern Ontario) but not like Texas!
fl.gif

I'll have to see about getting a window in, maybe just an east-facing one. I'm concerned that I will ruin the integrity of the roof/walls of the shed. I'm not very good at this handy person stuff.

th.gif

Go to the home depot, and find a book about installing windows, pick a basic window, and frame it in REALLY WELL and you won't affect the integrity of your walls or roof much, REMEMBER to pick a window that is in scale with your shed!

We live in Southern Ontario too, YOU NEED WINDOWS... otherwise you'll have some lovely boiled hens, because not only is it hot here, it's HUMID as HELL... the temp in my house gets above 100 in the summer months.

Thanks Chick A Dee...since starting this thread, my husband has fashioned a small ventilation fan at the very top vertical part of outside wall to vent air out of the coop, and there are now two small openings about 10x12, not windows exactly, but covered with chicken wire and closable with shutters, on either side of the vent fan...these things face southeast. All I have left to do is put a similar opening on the west side of the coop for that cross ventilation.

Thanks for all the advice!

Back
Top Bottom