Windy Ridge Farm- hatcing on the mind

chickenfancier2

In the Brooder
Dec 31, 2015
St.Stephen New Brunswick Canada
Hey everyone,
As the holidays have finally come to an end and we all begin a new year I find it only approiate to start the new year off right by sorting through the flock and picking out the best of the best, putting them in seperated pens and on clean shavings and getting ready for the most valuable and precious thing in the coop, FERTILE HATCHING EGGS. I'm beginning this morning with sorting my white Chanteclers and getting the incubator out and cleaned and gone over making sure that everyting is in working condition. Im sure im not the only one out there with hatching on the brain, So I am wondering what everyone is hatching this year and when you will begin the breeding process ?

Last edited:
Good luck setting up your breeding pens!

I'm way ahead of you :D I sorted my pens months ago and have my first 14 2016 chicks in the brooder now (they hatched yesterday and the day before). I also have another batch due to hatch on the 11th and one more due on the 17th. After that, I'll *probably* put my incubators away until Spring. Maybe.

I'm hatching Silkies and Sizzles :)

That's awesome, Im a little earlier then most people where I 'm from but with all the holidays and being busy with that and the girlfriend and I just had a new baby I put off my seperation and putting them in the breeding pens till now, my white chanteclers are pretty cold hardy so i usually hatch them first followed in march by my australorps and light sussex. im hoping to purchase a trio of silkies this spring i had them a few years ago but let them go to buy something else. i love them they are such nice birds.

Congrats on your new baby, exciting stuff!
My kids are 9 and 11, so I'm WAY past the brand new baby stage, which affords me some extra time since they don't require constant attention.
I've had partridge Chanteclers, lovely birds they were. I kind of did the same thing, just opposite. I sold all of my dual purpose and production breeds to focus more on my Silkies and Sizzles.

Again, enjoy that new addition, much like the tiny chicks we raise, they grow up SO fast!

Back
Top Bottom