Wing bruise?

CourtneyMB

In the Brooder
9 Years
Mar 14, 2010
Asheville, NC
I have a 3 month old BO who got in a tangle with a hawk the day before yesterday. I thought she had been taken for good, only to have her show up 8 hours after the attack.

I took her inside because she was bleeding, and found a 3/4" hole under her left wing. It wasn't bleeding profusely, by that time it had stopped. I clipped the feathers around the area, cleaned it up with soap and warm water, doused it with peroxide several times, dried it and applied a generous amount of antibiotic ointment.

I did this routine twice yesterday and once this morning, but noticed her under wing is turning green? Is this chicken bruising? She is eating and drinking fine, she even holds her wing up and flaps them like nothing is hindering her. I hope to god this isn't gangrene. What would you suggest?

I may be able to get a picture of it soon.

Anyone have an idea as to what this is? I was going to take a picture but the battery is dead and I have no idea where the charger is...

Yeah, a picture would help. It seems to me that if she is eating and looks happy, it is more likely a bruise. Did you google pictures of gangrene so you have a sense of what it looks like?

Back
Top Bottom