Wing clipping and nipped too much!

stormylady

Songster
11 Years
Dec 27, 2008
Illinois
I was clipping my birds wings this morning and clipped a little too close and snipped off the tip of one of my poor babies flappers ( the very tip ) it did bleed pretty good for a couple of mins. I sprayed it down with vetericin and covered it with antibiotic cream. Is there anything else I should do? I know that some chickens have way worse injuries than this sometimes but I still feel horrible that I inflicked it on her. What exactly are blood feathers? I have clipped them many times in the past but this is the first time I clipped them and one bled. Thanks Sandy:(

Last edited:
I would keep a septic powder like QuikStop on hand if you regularly clip their wings. We had a rooster grab one of our pullets through a netting and he broke off some of her blood feathers. We just put QuikStop on them to prevent any further bleeding or infection and she's fine.

Just came back in from giving her another good once over and it was two feathers and yes they were bleeding it has stopped now. I must have really freaked myself out and thought it was the wing tip I cut off, but it was 2 blood feathers together making it look like both sides of the wing bone. Since it was two blood feathers will they grow back next molt? I seriously thought i cut the cartiledge (sp) off . like when you eat a fried wing and the cart. comes of the end and you can see the two bones.
sickbyc.gif

Yes I keep Quik stop on hand for the dogs, I guess I just wasn't thinking. Happens to me when I get upset, common sense flys out the window. I think pretty straight when it is somebody else or their animals but when it comes to mine I just flip.
idunno.gif

Back
Top Bottom