wing clipping

Shalva

Songster
9 Years
Mar 19, 2012
New Hampshire
came home from the U. last night and found a hen on the wrong side of the fence....which is very dangerous so I am going to be clipping wings... I had a large parrot in the past so I know how to trim wings the question I have is whether I should do both wings or just one....

advice would be appreciated.
S

I never considered it a weight issue (unbalanced) and more of a lift issue. the feathers that you have clipped dont perform the same, eg dont provide the same mount of lift on that side of the bird. so its extremely difficult to fly in a straight line anymore. so they aim for the top of the fence, jump flap... and end up missing because they bank to the right/left.

This is a purely aerodynamic issue and still does not affect there ability to "turbo boost" on the ground (run while flapping wings) for escaping predators.

thank you I appreciate it... I want them to be able to free range the dog yard and eat all those nasty ticks... but I don't want them over the fence so keeping them in the yard is the goal.... they are orpingtons so pretty big i was surprised to see her over the fence to begin with being that she is a heavy chicken but she managed and now her flying days are done

Back
Top Bottom